Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P2002 Code.

JesusJohnson

Usual warning lights have come on, Got my hands on a scanner and code P2002 has come up. It's not as yet gone into limp mode (touch wood). I must say from what I am reading via search tool I am preparing for the worst.

It's a 07 T180 with currently 53k on it. 6-8 weeks ago lights came on, egr valve was cleaned out, lights went out and all was well, they came back on last week but soon went off and came on Saturday and are still on.

When I first got her 3 years ago at 22k it went in to toyota for excessive oil consumption, I was said I could have a new engine coursety of Mr Toyota, but due to lack of availability I had a dealer rebuild, I believe they were having trouble getting the engines.

All has been well up to the last few weeks, I just rung toyota but service had just closed, likely to be taking it on tomorrow but wondered what.people's opinions were, hoping I am still in the 7 year warranty by the skin of my teeth.

Jason.

Is the oil consumption high? Unfortunately dealer rebuilds were a bit of a mixed bag and there have been examples where rebuilt engines have subsequently failed. Although you might have some argument if the rebuilt engine failed prematurely, it would be much more straightforward if your car was registered later in 2014 and is still within the extended warranty - check your registration document for the reg date.

Well I have just had to put a litre of oil in it, it's used that in about 5-6 months, average mileage will have to get paperwork out to check the dates and miles.

Without having it in to toyota for a diagnostics, over the phone they are saying it will require a new cat,

I am just about to sort our the wheels to by getting the rings taken off, I also believe it's ready for the brakes doing, best dig deep or its part ex time.

It may be possible to revive the DPF. However, this with recurring fouling of the EGR isn't a good sign and it's important to establish the actual oil consumption - on the face of it a litre in around 5000miles / 5 months or so isn't anywhere near the alarm level. Do you use the prescribed grade of engine oil and avoid supermarket diesel?

I oil I use is Castrol 5\30, I do avoid the supermarket's but unfortunately the partner drives it and pulls in anywhere!

We're supposed to be taking the caravan out next Monday for first time this year So timing not exactly great, though it never is.

Just to be clear, is the cat and dpf separate items or are they built into the same unit.

Hi, to be honest i don't like the sound of this thread.

Unless your dealer can locate a factory new/rebuilt engine and not a dealer rebuild and with other money that appears you are going to have to spend i'd be thinking more towards a trade in and not get involved with the possible future problems you may face.

I know some people may say 'better the devil you know' but on this occasion if you can afford it it may be time to treat yourself to a newer car.

Regards Mike169

As far as I know the dpf and cat are combined - its called DPNR. Also Castrol 5w30 may be causing premature fouling of your egr valve - is it edge or magnetec 5w30? Either way, they are not C2 spec which Toyota requires for this engine.

You need an engine oil that meets C2 low ash specification 5w30 or 0w30. Any brand will be fine - Castrol Edge 0W30 meets C2 spec and would be perfect for your engine.

Try taking the car out and holding the revs at 3,000rpm in 3rd or 4th gear for 30 miles or so (when warmed up) that will get everything nice and hot (including the DPNR) and could help your problem (certainly wouldnt do it any harm)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links