Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mmt Loss Of Drive

sceh

I suspect this is an old topic but can't find much clarity.

I scrapped my last Yaris at 75k kms because it would lose drive with the engine warning light on.

Being an idiot, I bought another, mint condition, 45 k kms and now it sometimes loses drive but without the warning light. All I need to do is switch off the engine and then it works. The trouble of course is that this happens when I come to a stop - imagine this happening at the entrance to a roundabout!

Apart from interesting comments on how Toyota managed to screw up such a simple idea, any clues on what causes this? I did recently change the Battery which seemed to make it worse for a time but no other clues.

Hi, I am from the Toyota client support department and I just wanted you to know we don't give a crap and that it is about time you bought a new car.

Regards

Yeah, the MMT has a pretty crappy reputation here; The only people I've seen who try to defend it either drive really slow or only use it in manual mode.

They apparently improved it in the latest Auris versions, but apparently it still gets problems when it starts to age a bit.

Most of the newer Toyota autos are CVTs now.

Some things you could try are resetting the MMT computer (Toyota can do it properly, or you can do it the ghetto way by unplugging the Battery for a few minutes).

This seems to make it better for a while, but for a lot of people it reverts to being crappy after a few weeks.

Changing the clutch seems to have better results for a longer period, but this is a lot more expensive and still not guaranteed.

Lastly, there may be a firmware upgrade for the MMT which can improve things, but it looks like you have a Mk1 Yaris so this probably won't apply to you. (What improvements they made, they didn't filter down to older versions)

TBH, I'd flog it and get a manual one or get a car that doesn't have an MMT...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links