Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad Mpg On Automatic 1,6

goral

Hi.

It is normal, that Toyota Corolla Automatic 1.6 [2005] get nearly 12 l/100km (~24 MPG)?

I drive in hilly terrain (Pick District), an average of 20-30 miles a day. And computer shows consumption around 11.8-12.4 l/100 km. (~24 mpg) I know that the automatic consumes more but really is possible, somehow to reduce the fuel consumption?

Thanks.

First problem here is that you are going by the on board computer.

Do it the proper old fashioned way.

Fill up, drive for the tank and fill up again and calculate it from that.

I would imagine that a 1.6 automatic petrol, driving on hilly terrain, on RELETIVELY short journeys, wouldnt get any more than 28-30 mpg.

if you do the calculations the old way you might find you are getting that.

If its semi-automatic then maybe try driving manual and see if it makes a difference, should do for the hills anyway.

I made same calculations. I writing down details, when I fill up petrol, for nearly a month.

So, I made 608 ml and fill up 108.64 l (first filling up 10.03 last 02.04)

Do it simple math and result is about 25 mpg (11.17 l/100km).

On motor way (Manchester-London and beck computer show about 32 mpg (8.8 l/100km) driving very calm, with max speed no more then 80

m/h

It is still very high figure;(

Is any way to reduce fuel consumption? Lambda sonda, reset or making same correction in ECU...

ps. sorry for my english.

Edited by goral

well you can reset the ecu by disconnecting the Battery for 30 mins.

that will then re-learn your driving style and adapt to it.

my mpg is also down at the minute and iam hoping it is due to sticking brake calipers.

I am getting all new brakes wednesday and hope that will solve my problem.

The 1.6 auto Corolla was my first ever car, a 2005 like yours, and I loved it until it started going clonk when I turned left. I suspected that it was something to do with some very enthusiastic driving on a trip from London to the north of Scotland but years later learned that there was a steering recall.

One thing it was though was thirsty. The problem is that it is Petrol, and doesn't have a supercharger or turbo to make the most of the fuel. At the time, the CO2 related car tax bands didn't go up as far, and so it cost as much as a Ferrari to tax. This led to various permutations of the joke that I really had an Aston Martin with the Toyota appearance and de-performance packs. And then it suffers from what I call SAS - S**t automatic syndrome. Basically a 3 speed automatic with overdrive, that is smooth, but loses power and fuel all over the place.

I can completely understand you getting less than 30mpg in hilly terrain given everything I've said. I guess that you have three options really:

1. Learn to love it. Fuel costs are only part of running a car, and if it is fully paid-for, it may well be cheaper than getting a new car.

2. Read up on hypermiling - will enhance number 1.

3. Get a hybrid (IMO avoid the Prius if you want something fun to drive). I love automatics, not because I hate driving (I don't) but because they are a great luxury that allows you to concentrate on what really counts - seeing where you are going. Small diesels rarely come with automatics, the fuel costs more, and they are far more polluting than even a V8 petrol when you look beyond CO2. If you drive long distances, the payments especially on the Yaris Hybrid might be almost cancelled out by the extra fuel savings.

Whatever you do, make sure you are happy with and in your car - it is your Rolls Royce and most of us spend far too long in it to be worth making do.

David

Hi doe's your maff sensor need cleaning,I get mine done every service at the moment i'm getting 33.8mpg up&down

also i throw in some redex once a month :g:

• 2 years later...

Hi, just wanted to bump this thread as I have exactly the same problem as Goral. I get about 22 mpg or 11L/100km. It is city traffic but it still seems extremely high. Any suggestions on what I can check or do to improve this or is this just the nature of the older automatics? The car har 60k miles on it with full service history and is in very good condition. All liquids are good, MOT in Sweden was done recently, no issues at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links