Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Mpg On Bp Ultimate Unleaded

bobkneale

Latest results for my MPG are:

Using a Scan gauge that is now correctly calibrated.

• A number of short runs of maximum 15 miles or less in rural environment
  • At an average speed of 30 MPH and a maximum speed of 60 MPG.
  • External tempratures of between 15 Deg C to 20 Deg C
  • With two people in the IQ for 50% of the time.
  • Over a period of approxmatly 500 miles

I am getting an average of 63 MPG.

Note - Increasing my tyre pressures to upper limit got me an extra 3 MPG.

I cannot seem to improve on this figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I filled up my IQ with Shell V power petrol last week rather than the cheapest that I was using before, and also put in some STP fuel system cleaner I am now getting over 65 MPG based on my scan gauge readings.

Best average MPG I have had this year without changing driving habits etc,,,

Engine is also running smother, however that might just be Psychosomatic ?

Hi

Catch up with the MPG in my Toyota, not 1000 miles on the clock yet. Just got up to 60.5 MPG today, after filling up. I don't know what a scan gauge is, so this is from the info on the mode switch. Up to now been getting between 54 and 56 mpg. I am pleased with this as it is a lot better than the Celica for driving to work and back. Journey is a mix of lanes, towns and a bit of motorway.

Great car, often get asked about it in the car parks, perhaps I should claim commission from Toyota !

Yvonne

I'll have to look up "Scan gauge". Just about to fill up for the first time on the Burnt Orange

Edit - For £120 I could fill the iQ up roughly 4 times ;-)

I never bothered with the scan gauge, I just bought an ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth adapter and downloaded torque pro from either the google or Apple shops. So much easier that having to wire stuff in.

Fish

Just a point of information, the Scangauge does not require to be "wired" as such, you just plug it into the empty OBD socket.

If you want very accurate results you have to calibrate the fuel and distance functions which means you can't use those functions straight out of the box, but that is true of any of these devices that are serious pieces of kit.

A wee bit of time setting it up gives very worthwhile results. All the other functions like alternator voltage, coolant temperature, throttle position, ignition advance , air intake temperature etc,etc, and the fault code diagnosis, if required, work right away without needing calibration.

Wouldn't be without it.

John

• 2 weeks later...

As I am now getting 70 MPG in my little IQ that cost me just over £5000, I cannot complain to much, I am not sure what other petrol small car with quite a unique design that gives us:

1) Very low total running costs

2) Zero Road tax

3) Low insurance costs

4) 5 star N Cap safety with 9 air bags

5) Relability that remains to be seen in the long term (only time will tell) !

I just bought an IQ today, the 1.0 manual from 09. I noticed straight away that the average MPG readout will not go over 60 on the display.

Will this affect the overall average? I know on my Ford SMax, it will go up to 99.9 if coasting downhill for example.

Just wondering if figures get skewed by this 60 limit or if it is just a display issue?

Thanks

Royston

Hello Royston,

The "readout not going over 60" was a fault that the first IQs had and was not subject to a recall but was fixed under warranty if the then owner pointed it out and said they wanted it fixed. I had it done on my first IQ in 09.

Your PO apparently didn't bother but if you have just bought your IQ it will have some sort of warranty, if you bought it from a dealer, and you may be able to get it fixed by MrT.

I am not sure if it will affect the computed mpg figures, not being able to "count" above 60, but it may well do so. I use a Scangauge for my mpg readouts so never look at the built in one, though that is of no use to you, of course!

Perhaps a word with the dealer is in order, though I expect a sharp intake of breath and shaking of head may be the result.

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I bought privately, I hope a good deal as a lot cheaper than dealers as far as I could see. Cost me £4000 for 09 with 45K miles. All the ones at local garages started at around £5,500. Obviously more risk and no warranty though.

Interested to know more about the Scangauge, what is one, and how do you use it with the car?

Thanks

Royston

Hi Royston,

So talking to the dealer is out then!

The Scangauge (if you google it you will find out about it in more detail) is a display unit that simply plugs into the on-board diagnostic port (ODB port) which is on the lower right edge of the panelling under the dash/steering wheel.

I mainly use mine to make sure coolant temperatures are OK and the charging system is working properly, although warning lights are fitted to the car I am used to monitoring actual values for these sort of things. It gives a digital readout.

The mpg readings require accurate calibration of the Scangauge to give meaningful results, but that is easily done and worth the effort.

It can also be used to de-code fault codes when needed.

There are other apps and gadgets that do the same sort of thing but I have used my Scangauge for about seven years (you can move it from car to car) and I find it invaluable for my purposes and totally reliable.

John

• Like 1

John,

Thanks for the Info, I'll look more into it.

Cheers

Royston

• 5 months later...

I normally get an average of 60 MPG using Shell V Power, or sightly more. I needed to fill up last week and was not near my normal Shell petrol station so went into a BP and filled up with BP Ultimate Unleaded,

Now a week or so later I can see my MPG is down to somewhere between 50 - 55 MPG.

My runs are the same as are my driving habits, so either my IQ has lower MPG due to it being ready for a service or its the change in petrol type.

Time will tell, I will go back to Shell V Power and see !

• Like 2

You sure it's not one of the companies that now have 10% ethanol in the petrol? According the US where the stuff was introduced a few years ago in some states, the fuel economy drops slightly because there's less power in the ethanol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/9923895/New-green-petrol-could-drive-up-prices-and-damage-cars.html

Ignore the part about damaging engines. Most modern cars can easily handle 10% easily and some can go upto 25% without issue. There are some US owners running 85% ethanol in their Prius, but not something I'd want to try.

• Like 1

I'd be really interested in knowing which brands of fuel give better MPG and cause less harm to the engine and which brands are to be avoided.

I've never tried the higher octane unleaded - is it worth it?

There's few other threads on MPG.. sure you've opened a few now Bob haha :)

My results in the past and current have proven that these 'Premium Fuels' are a waste of time, certainly in my IQ.

V-Power & BT Ultimate - 46 - 50 mpg (Approximately)

Asda - 50 - 55mpg (Approximately)

Jet - 55mpg+

Obviously there might not be a Jet garage all over the country but I'm getting much better mpg with normal fuel. Servicing will always do your mpg better along with the few obviously other 'check list' duties like tyre pressures etc.

I used to achieve 60mpg+ when I done 90% motorway a year or two ago. Now I'm 80% town driving and getting 50mpg, or certainly around that figure. Makes sense I suppose but there is soooo many attributes to mpg it could go on forever.

I wasn't really aware of the differences between "brands" of fuel - I now want to buy a better quality fuel does this mean BP, She'll and Jet only?

You sure it's not one of the companies that now have 10% ethanol in the petrol? According the US where the stuff was introduced a few years ago in some states, the fuel economy drops slightly because there's less power in the ethanol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/9923895/New-green-petrol-could-drive-up-prices-and-damage-cars.html

Ignore the part about damaging engines. Most modern cars can easily handle 10% easily and some can go upto 25% without issue. There are some US owners running 85% ethanol in their Prius, but not something I'd want to try.

Toyota (& lots of other auto companies) in the US have said that their warranty doesn't cover E15 usage.

• Like 2

There is one thing I have learn't Its that the 3 cyl 1.0ltr IQ performs differently dependant upon the fuel used, lots of facts and debate about different types and there potential effects (positive & negative).

Shell V Power seems to work best for me, that I am beginning to realise !

Before I owned my IQ I did not bother what fuel I used in all of my previous and much larger engined cars, now because I am focussed upon getting at least 60 MPG from my IQ it has caused me to learn just a little more about the subject.

So my thanks to all those of you on this forum that have since educated me about the various aspects of various fuel types !

• Like 1

I do find the Shell V Power to be a good fuel. I think with everyone so focused on price these days, the petrol companies don't put as much cleaner or other good stuff in their normal, Premium 95 unleaded. The more expensive 98 octane Super unleaded is more, but does seem to run cleaner.

Having suffered with a blocked EGR valve at 75k miles (not the IQ) on a petrol car, I try to stick with 98 octane when I can.

• Like 1

Toyota (& lots of other auto companies) in the US have said that their warranty doesn't cover E15 usage.

I agree. I wouldn't want to use 10% let alone 15% or more. But they say it's possible. Now what long term damage is done to the engine is certainly debateable. I guess it's the same as running a 1970's British Leyland car on unleaded. Sure it would run, but would slowly melt your valve seats away within a few thousand miles.

Personally I'd rather use less 100% petrol than have all the nonsense of 5% ethanol for environmental reasons, yet the ethanol can cause more environmental damage in habitat loss etc. But that's another argument.

• Like 1

Most of my BP Ultimate now used and back on Shell V Power MPG back up to 60+ MPG

I have checked this by:

Manual Calculations

IQ Average MPG gauge

Two Scan gauges monitoring my MPG

All methods of calculating tell me that Shell V Power gives me 60+ MPG

Any other fuel I have tried (I have not tested them all) gives me less MPG

I use the same pump at the same Shell petrol station and fill up the same way every time.

• Like 2

Are you going to Give 'Tesco Momentum 99' a try and see what their 99 Octane gives you. ?

If it gives the same MPG as the Shell V-Power Nitro, you will be able to get at least 1 litre more for the same cost,

so that would be an extra 13 miles or so covered.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuel/specifications

• Like 1