Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Mpg On Bp Ultimate Unleaded

bobkneale

Are you going to Give 'Tesco Momentum 99' a try and see what their 99 Octane gives you. ?

If it gives the same MPG as the Shell V-Power Nitro, you will be able to get at least 1 litre more for the same cost,

so that would be an extra 13 miles or so covered.

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuel/specifications

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know the results !

Bob,

i read in the other thread that you do only 5,000 miles a year,

So does that mean with the MPG you get, that you use around 1 1/2 gallons a week only,

while doing pretty short runs,

or do you achieve that sort of economy on longer trips?

george

Bob,

i read in the other thread that you do only 5,000 miles a year,

So does that mean with the MPG you get, that you use around 1 1/2 gallons a week only,

while doing pretty short runs,

or do you achieve that sort of economy on longer trips?

george

Hi George, my runs are about an average of 10 miles to 50 miles each and mostly on "B" roads between 30 to 60MPH I don't use my IQ every day. I have done a few 100+ mile trips but not that often.

I've just refilled, so to give people an indication of recent fuel economy here's my last tankful results:

On JET fuel: Managed 330 miles until the last bar started flashing, averaging 54mpg. I take note of my miles covered when the last bar starts flashing or 5 miles into it. I've used every fuel for a good month or two for positive results and can tell you my IQ likes JET fuel. Asda I get around 50mpg and any premium fuel is around 45 - 48mpg. Very interesting you might say.. I'm quite light footed in the IQ as I bought it for this in mind as I do some driving for work.

• Like 1

My minimum target MPG is 60 MPG average if my IQ gets less than that on a ongoing basis then there is something wrong.

If I could not average at least 60 MPG I would replace my IQ for a better MPG car.

I have the 1.0ltr manual so 60+ average MPG is possible for me.

I am still looking for ways to increase it beyond 60 MPG and have not come up with any cost effective methods as yet !

• Like 1

Remember it isn't all the cars fault when you don't achieve your 60 MPG claims. Wind, road condition, road gradient, road direction, tyre pressure, vehicle weight when driving, servicing internals and interior controls such as air conditioning and heating system can ALL hamper your MPG figures. That is only a few to mention. The IQ is a very fragile and small car so the slightest turbulence of wind can massively affect the MPG as I have witnessed many times. Traffic is also a huge factor, sit on a straight road and your MPG will shot right up, sitting at traffic lights, going through roundabouts all point the MPG figure down.

Not saying your car wont manage the 60 MPG your wanting, as you seem to be achieving this, which is impressive but very little things DO affect the MPG in this car as it's so small. I'd be very happy of what your getting Bob, how many miles are you returning from your MPG?

• Like 1

I am now waiting to see if my 60MPG average increases since my service, IE Oil / Filter / Air Filter & 3 New Spark Plugs Plus some ZX1 added and BG44 fuel system cleaner.

My two connected scan gauges plus my manual calculations plus the Toyota MPG readout will tell me over the next few weeks.

I will probably have to increase my tyre pressures "a bit" as Toyota has reduced them to standard setting as part of the service.

We will see ?

Couple of points of interest?

If you use premium petrol Shell V+ ? should you not need to add a fuel system cleaner? I though these super fuels contained the cleaning agents necessary?

If you run with over inflated tyres to save a bit in fuel, does the increase in tyre wear not defeat the object of saving money (Robbing Peter to pay Paul?) What pressure are you running at?

If you use premium petrol Shell V+ ? should you not need to add a fuel system cleaner? I though these super fuels contained the cleaning agents necessary?

If you run with over inflated tyres to save a bit in fuel, does the increase in tyre wear not defeat the object of saving money (Robbing Peter to pay Paul?) What pressure are you running at?

I was running about 5 PSI higher than standard.

I agree re "Super Fuels" having are "supposed to have" the cleaning agents required, without taking everything apart and doing a long winded and very controlled experiment its hard to know.

Well in my case, those extra few PSI make the wear more even so if anything it should be reducing tyre wear! :)

I agree re "Super Fuels" having are "supposed to have" the cleaning agents required, without taking everything apart and doing a long winded and very controlled experiment its hard to know.

I agree too. I'm a new convert to V Power as my car runs so much smoother. Even Mrs Cabbie commented on her IQ running better on it when she used it by mistake. Others on here have said it's the placibo effect though. I know that's not the case as Mrs Cabbie doesn't notice ANYTHING about her car. This is the lady who drove around with a flat tyre and wondered why the car made a funny noise, the lady who sheared off the lower front suspension and said I should look at her car cos it's pulling to one side a little! A little!?!?! it wasn't connected to the wheel!

So if Mrs Cabbie puts posh petrol in and notices that the car goes quicker and smoother, then it must be noticeable :)

• Like 1

Usually around town (Birmingham) I use standard BP, Shell Fuelsaver or similar, and occasionally Tesco. If Tesco has any offer on fuel (ie spend £40 and get 5p off a litre of petrol), I usually use their Momentum.

However if we do a run (eg Birmingham to Isle of Skye, etc), I usually try to use V Power for the motorway part of the journey as I think it does improve the running.

I've seen the comments re the placebo effect, and as far as I'm concerned that is just someone else's opinion.

• Like 2

drove around with a flat tyre and wondered why the car made a funny noise, the lady who sheared off the lower front suspension and said I should look at her car cos it's pulling to one side a little! A little!?!?! it wasn't connected to the wheel!

Ahahaha! That's brilliant :lol: Thanks, you made me laugh :D

I have always used Shell in my iQ, just the standard unleaded. On occasion I have tried the V-power and recently the Nitro+ whaterver it is called, and can honestly say I didn't notice any difference in running or mpg. I wonder if the 3cyl engine does benefit more that the 4cyl engine?

I suspect it does depend on the driving style somewhat; I find the V-Power isn't as noticeable at the low end, so if you drive for economy and shift at 2000rpm etc you probably won't notice any difference (May even get worse mpg!)

If you use it for a motorway run and/or let the revs run higher than normal the effect is more noticeable, e.g. when overtaking - The engine just feels a bit more willing to climb the revs than normal, but it is quite subtle. About the difference between having a tail-wind and not I guess?

It just sucks that it's so much more expensive; Makes it hard to recommend, esp. if you only ever drive in town.

If it was only a couple p more I'd switch over to it fully but it's almost 12p/L more than the Sainsburys diesel I normally use so it's stuck being a treat for my ickle Yaris every now and then, or if I know I'm going to be doing some distance/fast driving. It's a pity as the diesel version burns a lot cleaner than normal diesel and that's quite desirable in an urban environment!

• Like 1

drove around with a flat tyre and wondered why the car made a funny noise, the lady who sheared off the lower front suspension and said I should look at her car cos it's pulling to one side a little! A little!?!?! it wasn't connected to the wheel!

Ahahaha! That's brilliant :lol: Thanks, you made me laugh :D

lol I wish it made me laugh! lol. Those are only two immediate examples I could think of. Let's put it this way, she's NOT on my insurance to drive my car - and never will be! :)

The last time was the sheared off suspension. The garage couldn't believe it. Mrs Cabbie surmised she might have driven off one of those high curbs near a bus stop and that there was a funny noise, but she was in a rush!?!

Lord give me strength lol

• Like 2

I am now waiting to see if my 60MPG average increases since my service, IE Oil / Filter / Air Filter & 3 New Spark Plugs Plus some ZX1 added and BG44 fuel system cleaner.

My two connected scan gauges plus my manual calculations plus the Toyota MPG readout will tell me over the next few weeks.

I will probably have to increase my tyre pressures "a bit" as Toyota has reduced them to standard setting as part of the service.

We will see ?

Since above service plus ZX1 plus some BG44 MPG now up to 65MPG+ some runs getting nearly 70MPG. Perhaps I am just imagining it ? However 2 scan gauges plus manual calcs plus Toyota average MPG all cannot be wrong ? or can they ?

Perhaps my right foot has gone to sleep ?

• Like 1

I think the approaching summer is helping too :)

It's certainly helping mine! :naughty:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Shell V Power is probably the best you can get. Ive read a lot into it, and used it on everything Ive had. Its shown real world benefits on my ZX6R on the dyno with more power and it returns better mileage per tank too. The same with my S2000. Not only does it increase power it does improve mpg. With the friction modifiers the engines doesnt have to work as hard to do the same work, in return increases power and increases mpg. One of the other benefits is the cleaning properties of the fuel. A little search on youtube will show you how it cleans the internals of the engine and allows them to work more efficiently. There is also a good video on there where ch5 did a comparison of fuels in various cars comparing only power increases and not mpg. It was quite amazing to see what a difference it made to the power and torque figures of a Subaru Impreza. Not so much on a golf gti and practically nothing on a small vw polo, but remember this was only comparing power differences nothing else. For the extra 8p a litre around here I use nothing else. Its also one of the highest octane ratings of fuel available in the UK. Check the videos out on youtube, very interesting. Also worth it as ive seen real world differences on several of my own vehicles.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links