Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Release Button Sticking

Adam C

Hi guys, didn't see this when I searched so here it goes . .

One my 58 reg car, when you press the button on the hatchback to open it, the button sticks in so you have to wriggle it about to get it to spring back out again.

I tried it earlier whilst the hatchback was open and it never springs back. In contrast, the 60 reg car's always does - handy with it being the learner car as I have a topsign that goes on the roof on lessons.

Has anyone else had this before, and what's the best way to lubricate it?

Hi, my mums Yaris had this problem has last year some shock and unlock stuff from Halfords and some spray grease. Sprayed with the shock one first and pushed button in and out several times followed with grease and did the same. Seems to have been ok for last year does occasionally stick but its like one in every 50 uses.

Hope it helps

Had this on aBMW and a Peugeot. Spray WD40 into the gap between button and the button holder.. Press button several times. The silicon in the WD40 acts as a lubricant and should help it release. Grease in locks picks up dirt and may eventually make things worse...

Halfords, and no doubt other motor factors, sell a silicone spray, so you could also consider using that

use spray furniture polish. ( Mr Sheen). Its silicone based. It also works well on the channels the electric windows run in.

Thank you people! I have some silicone-based sprays to lubricate my bike's chain, will give one a go when I get a moment & report back to you all. Happy Yaris motoring!

Well I'm happy to report that the silicone-based lubricant spray worked wonders on my 58 reg Yaris's boot button. Cheers once again peeps!