Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fluid Levels

happycarrot

hello again

sorry havent managed to pick up engine manual for my 2.8 TD hiace super custom yet, and concerned about fluid levels..

as you look at the engine from the passenger side, to the left just in front of you theres a metal cylindrical screw cap container. attached to the screw cap underside theres a tiny solid dipstick which says 'hot' and on the cap it says only use 'dexron type ATF'. now, is that 'power steering fluid' or the 'auto transmission fluid'. i thought it too high up for auto fluid..but really i dont know anything about engines__also theres the other 2 dipsticks. 1 in the middle of the engine which is the engine oil level and the 1 to the right of that almost right under the engine which i thought to be the auto fluid. am i right ?

sorry to be a pain but i really want to get this straight in my head..

plus i had a little poke around under the engine at the weekend and saw what looked like another radiator lying flat along the bottom front of the engine with two fans in cages close by. this seems strange to me ..2 rads..hmm

my previous car was a 73 vw camper..tiny engine, all you did was put oil in and it went ..if anyhting went wrong you just put more oil in and it fixed it. im just getting to grips with this toyota engine

hello again

sorry havent managed to pick up engine manual for my 2.8 TD hiace super custom yet, and concerned about fluid levels..

as you look at the engine from the passenger side, to the left just in front of you theres a metal cylindrical screw cap container. attached to the screw cap underside theres a tiny solid dipstick which says 'hot' and on the cap it says only use 'dexron type ATF'. now, is that 'power steering fluid' or the 'auto transmission fluid'. i thought it too high up for auto fluid..but really i dont know anything about engines__also theres the other 2 dipsticks. 1 in the middle of the engine which is the engine oil level and the 1 to the right of that almost right under the engine which i thought to be the auto fluid. am i right ?

sorry to be a pain but i really want to get this straight in my head..

plus i had a little poke around under the engine at the weekend and saw what looked like another radiator lying flat along the bottom front of the engine with two fans in cages close by. this seems strange to me ..2 rads..hmm

my previous car was a 73 vw camper..tiny engine, all you did was put oil in and it went ..if anyhting went wrong you just put more oil in and it fixed it. im just getting to grips with this toyota engine

Yes you are correct on all three dipsticks.

The extra rad under the engine is for the Air Con, bit of a stupid place to put it as it collects all the oil and crap.

Hi happy carrot,

Also, when checking the auto box fluid, make sure the engine is hot (after a run).

When stationary, with engine running, go through all the gears a couple of times - then check the dipstick to see if its at the hot level.

You have the same engine as myself, but i have no turbo. :(

Have a nosey at

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/HiaceSuperCustomWagons/

Toyota will sell you a RM123E engine manual (2L, 3L) for about £10.

Its not for a hiace as such, but for (in your case) the 3L engine. (thats engine code, not ltrs). Worth the money I thought......

Chris

cheers ..so as you look at the engine from the passanger side

the little dipstick on the left is power steering fluid

the middle one is engine oil

and the one to the right is auto trans fluid..

can i put oil in the power steering container to top up the level at any point or is it a empty everything then refill job..

also do you know where to refill the front window washer, simple thing i know but i cant find anything !..need to know all the little things as going on long trip soon

thanks again..better get on with some work

Yes, right again.

Small container is power steering (use atm)

One behind rocker cover is oil

One that runs down side of engine into the atm sump is auto transmission.

Is the yellow dipper oil - and the orange atm?

The engine oil will be black unless new, and the others should be red or clearish.....if the atm is obviously brown/dirty there is some wear. (not necessarilly a problem)

You can drain and replenish the atm sump (around 2.5 ltrs) if its dirty......then after a couple of weeks do it again (as you are only draining the sump, not torque convertor). Get 5 ltr dexron2 from an auto factor rather than the little and expensive bottles at Halfords and the like.

Top up as required, but I would do it hot and with engine running for atm fluids.

Window washer bottle fill is on/just above the passenger doorstep (when door open). Took me ages to find when I first got it too.

Rear one is on the rear pillar when hatch open.

Brake fluid is on drivers side of dash.....then you have the axle......are you 4 or 2wd?

''alright chris''...

cheers for that im not as lame as i sound..

just need to be absolutely certain when taking on a new engine from scratch without manual..

i've only got a 2 wheel drive unfortunately (do alot of camping) would have liked a 4 wd but then again it would have been alot more juicey..

im loving the van compared to my old vw, its like driving around in club class on a plane..when i got the custom the curtains had been taken out for a wash and they're proving more difficult than i thought to get back in..can't wait to use those electric curtains!!

you've got a 3L have'nt you?..if so does it pull alot better up hills

when you have the air con on is it normal for the temp guage to raise 1 bar.?

cheers mate..

ooh one more thing you don't happen to know what the big red button is on the base of the automatic gear stick ..looks like if you press it the gear box will fall out.!! scary stuff

cheers again..!

Yeah I know.............

They are strange vehicles to find your way round.

Club class on a plane is a good analogy I think too......for the passengers at least..

The 3L (2779) is OK...but for brisk progress the wellie pedal is on or off. The torque convertor lock up speed means a bit of slip below 40mph. Fine on hills etc. and tops out at 90 with the wind behind it. Cruises up to 75 without getting too noisey.

The 3ltr turbo would be better though. Got told they will go over 120mph with more car like acceleration to boot.

Best I got in mine was 0-60 in 21.5 secs (empty tank etc.) - otherwise around 24 sec.

OK, so we don't get them for speed, but its nice to express yourself periodically.

Still, even being deprived of raw power, I still find that other drivers are in my way, so it can't be too bad

Air con....will labour the engine more...therefore a touch more heat produced. Try driving around a steady 30 then switching it on....then note the power sap/speed drop. I leave mine on 24/7 all year. Stops all the windows fogging in winter and keeps things dry.

Strange red button.....you cannot take the shift out of 'park' without the key in and foot on the brake etc.

By holding the red button in...it allows you to move the auto shift and select N or whatever. Handy if you have to push it back from morroco....(joke).......