Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 Diesel Problem

4raver

When the engine is hot the fuel system starts to hunt and the engine becomes a little rough...if you pull over the engine ticks over at 1000-1050 rpm...all this time the fuel economy drops to 25 mpg on the touch and go...this continues for fifteen minutes exactly every time and then the engine restores itself.....to run for a few days without problem, but then returns again sporadically....it only happens when hot and can be motorway or normal roads. Toyota say there is no problem and cannot find a fault even though they have been shown video and photographic evidence...this last time they said they had run the car whilst hot and had it on the rolling road for two days....shame they did not check the mileage as they had only done two miles on the dash. So I need your help anyone have the same problem or know of a cure.

It just sounds like the DPF is regenerating

The DPF what is this, and is it supposed to do this.

The DPF what is this, and is it supposed to do this.

Sure is my friend exactly !

Diesel Particulate Filter

Yep I researched it and it sounds about right....I will speak to Toyota on Tuesday... Wish me luck.

Yep I researched it and it sounds about right....I will speak to Toyota on Tuesday... Wish me luck.

Not sure why you taking it back to Toyota or need luck, DPF regeneration is perfectly normal and supposed to happen at various frequencies dependent upon the driving conditions the vehicle is used, ie short journeys or long motorway runs.

It is important to let the DPF complete its regeneration after its began or it will keep trying everytime its perameters are met, ie a hot engine (which I think is happening in your case)

Just give the car a 20 or 30 mile or more run out now and again to allow the DPF to do its stuff.. ie burn off the soot its accumulated.

My Hilux has a regen around every 300 miles.

Its never happened in my Auris D4D 1.4 to my knowledge but does so with frequency in the yaris....maybe its just a yaris thing and is more noticeable with the touch and go.

Its never happened in my Auris D4D 1.4 to my knowledge but does so with frequency in the yaris....maybe its just a yaris thing and is more noticeable with the touch and go.

Has your Auris got a DPF ?

Touch & go will have nowt to do with it one way or the other Paul

My theory is that, although the 1.4 in the Auris is the same as in the Yaris, the Auris is a lot heavier so the engine tends to run hotter as it has to do a lot more work. The 1.4 is a bit over powered for the Yaris really (Which is why it's so much fun :D) so unless it gets a run on the motorway every now and then, things like the EGR and DPF tend to get sooted up as the engine never gets hot enough to burn all the crud out.

Apparently my auris does have one and it must be working because I don't suffer with sooting and get a regular 56 mpg for a gallon of diesel.......the reference of the touch and go on the yaris was important as it always shows you when the DPF unit is working as the fuel economy shows just 25 mpg for the time it is on and works fine for the rest of the time it is not working, this is what firstly brought our attention to what we thought was a fault which you have all pointed out is a natural occurrence. So thanks to you all for your input...the car is doing what it should be and that's great.

My theory is that, although the 1.4 in the Auris is the same as in the Yaris, the Auris is a lot heavier so the engine tends to run hotter as it has to do a lot more work. The 1.4 is a bit over powered for the Yaris really (Which is why it's so much fun :D) so unless it gets a run on the motorway every now and then, things like the EGR and DPF tend to get sooted up as the engine never gets hot enough to burn all the crud out.

Sounds right if the Auris also has a DPF :thumbsup:

the reference of the touch and go on the yaris was important as it always shows you when the DPF unit is working as the fuel economy shows just 25 mpg for the time it is on and works fine for the rest of the time

Oh I see you mean the instant mpg readout on the T & G :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links