Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gen 7 Lowering Advice

JayLuke

Hey guys i've been browsing around looking for a suitable thread for my question but can't really seem to find a solid answer, i'm pretty new to the whole car customising scene, and i'm just looking for what's probably a simple answer :) I'm currently driving a Y Reg Gen 7 190 Celica, i love it to bits but the ride height is a tad too high for me. I've been looking into the options for lowering my baby, but i'm not sure how to go about it. Do i get Lowering springs or do i go for Coilovers? now if i go for the Coilover option, do i need to replace the standard shocks? like i said i'm a bit of a novice at all of this to say the least. I'm also planning a european road trip next year with a couple of mates, we're all going in our cars, so i was thinking if i had the Coilovers it would be the better option since Europe has better roads than we do in the UK haha, so i could just slam it down when i need to :D

So in short guys what am i looking at? Coilovers + New shocks? or Springs? i'm looking for a drop of 35mm since i think that'l look quite tidy.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Jamie.

Good Coilovers are very expensive for a Gen 7, over £700 plus fitting for Meister, so I'd recommend you opt for the much cheaper alternative..Apex lowering springs. These have the 35mm drop you're looking for, and only cost just over £100, but it might be advisable to have new drop links to hand in case you have to cut the rusted ones off. Don't forget a professional laser wheel alignment a couple of weeks after the springs have been fitted.

HTH :)

Hey Scarlett Arrow,

Thanks for your reply :) Yeah i was looking around and saw some cheap Coilovers knocking around but thought just as much that they'd most likely break :/ i'm intending to keep my Celica for a long time so that might be an investment for the future by the sounds of it :D I've seen the ones you mentioned on eBay, i was looking and it said on there 'Please Note: Not for cars with rear shock 2B760' am i presuming that's stock and i'd need to get those changed out? or am i going to be okay with the originals for now? I'll get some drop links too they seem cheap enough too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-99-On-Apex-Lowering-Spring-Kit-/230589852771?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2000%7CCar+Make%3AToyota%7CCars+Type%3A1.8+16V+VT-i%7CPlat_Gen%3AZZT23_%7CModel%3ACelica&hash=item35b039ec63

That's the link to the eBay listing i saw if you wanted to check out what i meant with the shocks.

Thanks again :)

Your 190 won't have the 2B760 rear shocks, so you won't have to replace them to fit the Apex springs, However, if your car has done a high mileage, the shocks will be getting "tired", so you might want to consider changing them anyway, especially the fronts :)

As your new to the car customizing scene I thought I would post the following, although scarlett has answered most of you questions.

Coilovers come with shocks that's why they are so expensive, (usually over £700 for a decent set) they are also height adjustable, some are damper adjustable.

D2, Tein, Meister R and Buddyclub are the most popular.

There are cheap coilovers on eBay which are just springs with a locking ring to compress the spring, these are very dangerous and should be avoided, these are not coilovers.

There are also a set of cheap coilovers around the £400 mark, I don't know of anyone who has these or if they are any good.

The apex springs you posted are what most go for, as they are good for the price, give the car a good stance and the ride quality is still good.

If you want better springs then you'd be better looking at TTE or Eibach, but these will set you back about £150 for the TTE and £180-£200 for the Eibach.

The rear shocks 2B760 referred to on the eBay link you posted are for the models in the USA only, so will not affect you car.

And lastly as scarlett said if you car has higher mileage like 100k then I would either consider changing the shocks for new stock ones or fitting coilovers, as if the shocks are pretty worn then they won't last long with the extra stress of being lowered, plus your handling would improve, and you would feel the benefit of the new springs more. Old worn shocks will give you a more sloppy feeling ride.

• Like 1

In addition to the sound advice from above, if you opt for coilies I would go for ones with adjustable damping (not just ride height). The difference it can make is huge - soft for commuting on crappy roads, hard for a bit of track work & moderate for touring with a bit of fun :)

• 2 years later...
On 21 April 2014 at 6:28 PM, Scarlett Arrow said:

Hi, Jamie.

Good Coilovers are very expensive for a Gen 7, over £700 plus fitting for Meister, so I'd recommend you opt for the much cheaper alternative..Apex lowering springs. These have the 35mm drop you're looking for, and only cost just over £100, but it might be advisable to have new drop links to hand in case you have to cut the rusted ones off. Don't forget a professional laser wheel alignment a couple of weeks after the springs have been fitted.

HTH :)

Hey guys new to this group iv celica 190 i have 35mm lowering springs was wondering what the tein coilovers are any good. Thanks

image.png

I had tein coilovers on my 190, as I swapped to a GT about 2 months later I sold them on, the person who had them off me ended up getting them repaired a few months later as they were leaking, and this seems a common problem on the tein.

Meister R are probably one of the best out there

• 5 years later...

Advice please .bought full set kyb excel g front rear .with k flex springs .fitted front .so not happy very high .so not fitted rears yet .should I get ebatche springs all round for setup .or will they lower a little .can send rear springs back 

Eibach Pro Kit springs are good quality, and will lower the car by around 30mm. I had them on my 2004 VVTi for many years. I must admit to not hearing of K Flex.

HTH 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 3:07 AM, Paultb51 said:

Advice please .bought full set kyb excel g front rear .with k flex springs .fitted front .so not happy very high .so not fitted rears yet .should I get ebatche springs all round for setup .or will they lower a little .can send rear springs back 

Any reason why you have not acknowledged my reply, Paul?.