Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Provisions

square1

I've been putting together an emergency pack to keep in a shoe box in the boot. This contains:

• Fire extinguisher
  • Torch
  • Hi-vis vest
  • First aid kit
  • Blanket (need to get one)
  • A few spare tissues and a cloth
  • Warning triangle (won't actually fit in the shoe box but never mind)

I've not purchased any extra repair equipment, cords, ropes etc as I have breakdown cover which will be with the RAC from the end of next month. There has to be a limit on how much stuff I carry.

So what does yours contain?

A closely related question I've been pondering is whether should worry about knowing how to change a wheel, considering that I have breakdown cover. I have read the instructions in the manual but it mentions about using block(s), which I don't have. Can anyone advise?

• Like 1

During the summer, we keep a similar stock in each car (in a small rucksack). We don't keep a warning triangle due to the size and weight. Additionally we have a small packet of disposable non-latex gloves, a swiss army knife, and an emergency/survival foil blanket (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=emergency+blanket).

We also keep another swiss army knife or multi tool, and a torch in the glovebox/centre console. One of the torches is a civilian version of a Nitepalm LED torch used by some police forces - which has several functions (white, green or red LEDs, two brightness levels and strobe for each colour LED).

We also have a cheap payg mobile phone in the glovebox of each car, which we keep call credit on. Bear in mind that most networks require a phone to be used at least once every 90 days or so in order to keep the sim active, and the charge needs to be checked every so often.

In the winter we add de-icer and a couple of scrapers.

One thing to bear in mind is that fire extinguishers and certain items in first aid kits have limited lives - so a regular check is needed of what you have. We make sure the torches contain decent quality alkaline batteries.

Also the quality of scissors in first aid kits tend to be quite poor - so it may be worthwhile getting a better quality pair.

As regards blocks and changing wheels - I'd leave that to whichever breakdown service you subscribe to.

• Like 1

Oh, yes, I have included a pair of disposable gloves. Does it matter if the blanket is foil or not? And how long should I expect my fire extinguisher to last? I hope it's not just a flippin' year. Am I right in saying that they can be refilled?

The emergency type blankets (often foil or metallised material) are usually folded down into quite a small pack (eg 3 by 3 inches or similar) so would be quite easy to store, and tend to be water/wind resistant.

Usually fire extinguishers have a life of about 5 years. Some can be refilled, but it can be as cheap (or cheaper) to just buy a replacement (old ones should be taken to your Local Authority recycling centre for disposal)