Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Major Smoke Coming From Exhaust

pedro9474

Hi folks,

For some time now my SR180 has been blowing major amounts of smoke this happens dailly and is more noticable when driving first thing in the morning when the car has been sitting all night or after work when its been sitting all day in the car park.

I have cleaned the EGR and inlet pipe, MAF and also had a major service completed but this hasn't made any difference and smoke is extremly bad for approx 1 mile of driving and seems to be even worse when stop start and sitting in heavy traffic on the motorway.

I have considered buying a new EGR and replacing it incase the valve is sticking and i just wondered if the valve was sticking would this cause the smoking issue's ? becuase i have had no engine management issues and the mechanic i spoke to thought that EGR may be the cause and i thought i would hopefully gets some good advice from yourselves.

Cheers

Pedro

With the tints at the rear of the SR180 i cant be 100% sure but it looks greyish in colour

I have had a check at both the coolant and oil and its been fine.

what kind of driving do you do?

Maybe it needs a good run to allow for a full regen.

Put 20 quid diesel in.. £1 unleaded ultimate.. Did the job for me.

Then needs a good run.. Quick acceleration as said by Heidfirst.

If you don't want to risk unleaded.. You need your egr cleaning out and if it's too bad.. Possibly replacement of egr.. I'm not too sure if these have dpf's.

a T180/SR180 does (or in Toyota-speak it has a DNPR).

Most of my driving is motorway although in the mornings and evenings the motorway i.e M8 Motorway can be like a carpark i do take it for runs where i give it some wellie i have already cleaned the EGR and i have already used a DPF cleaner then had the car put through a full service .

Does the 2.0 auris d4d have this as well?

Thanks in adv

Does it emit smoke after idling for any length of time , possibly valve stem seals . If these seals go hard it allows oil to leak down the valve stems over night or if left for any length of time ?

The smoke is more when driving and usually its worse within 10 mins of starting the car from cold, As the engine is starting to get up to its optimal temperature thats when you see a thick curtain smoke coming from the exhaust.

The smoke is more when driving and usually its worse within 10 mins of starting the car from cold, As the engine is starting to get up to its optimal temperature thats when you see a thick curtain smoke coming from the exhaust.

Toyota have a technical service bulletin ref EG-0004T-0110-EN that seems to cover this:

White smoke from exhaust, DPNR only.
Models:
RAV4, Avensis, Auris, Corolla Verso
Model codes:
ALA30, ADT251, AUR10, ADE157
DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may explain about white smoke from the exhaust.
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The ECU software has been improved.
The bulletin requires the correct operation of:
5th injector, replace if faulty
Check for air leaks, repair as required
Confirm air intake volume, replace air filter if out of spec
Check MAF operation, replace MAF is faulty
Check EGR operation, clean or replace as required
Check intake manifold for blockage, clean if clogged
Carry out forced DPNR regeneration, if regen fails replace DPNR
If any of the above are out of spec then they need attention then a reprogramming of the ECU with updated software is required, if they are all OK just the software update is required.

Thank you or that Lee the car would now be outwith the warranty as its a 58 plate what do you think i would be expected to pay if i was to contact Toyota about this ?

And who would i contact would it be the dealer or contact Toyota direct ?

Cheers

Pedro

Does the 2.0 auris d4d have this as well?

Thanks in adv

A UK 2007 Auris 2.0 D4D is unlikely to have a DPF or Toyota's DPNR with a 5th injector (if it does it will have D-CAT on the engine cover).

• Like 1

Thank you or that Lee the car would now be outwith the warranty as its a 58 plate what do you think i would be expected to pay if i was to contact Toyota about this ?

And who would i contact would it be the dealer or contact Toyota direct ?

Cheers

Pedro

Looking at the diagnostics required about 1.5 hours should cover it, including reprogramming the ECU, contact your local dealer and quote them the TSB number

Update: My local dealer confirmed that only the D-cat engines which are labelled on the side of the car and on the engine cover such as the T/SR180 have dpf's (DPNR). Does this seem correct?

Sounds possible to me, but perhaps one of the dealer staff can confirm this or not ?

• Like 1

The following applies to UK specification only:

DPF = Diesel particulate filter

DPNR = Diesel particulate NOx reduction ( D-cat )

These are similar in name but different in operation both units can regenerate passively when the car is driven fast enough for long enough and the filter gets hot enough, the DPF also regenerates by altering the fuelling via the 4 fuel injectors to allow fuel to pass down into the filter burning off the soot. A DPNR has a separate 5th injector dedicated to the job of burning of the accumulated soot along with additional coatings inside the filter to reduce the NOx output further than a DPF equipped car.

From 2010 onwards Toyota had to introduce DPF to all passenger diesel cars ( 2011 on for Hilux ) this includes:

1NDFTV - 1.4 Diesel used in Yaris, Urban cruiser, Auris

1ADFTV- 2.0 Diesel used in Avensis, Verso & Rav4 ( UK Auris 2.0D stopped production in late 2009 so no DPF )

2ADFTV - 2.2 Diesel used in Avensis & Rav4 when using a manual gearbox

1KDFTV - 3.0 Diesel used in Landcruiser

1VDFTV - 4.5 Diesel used in Landcruiser V8

The DPNR D-cat was/is used in:

1CDFTV 2.0 Diesel used in 2003-2005 Avensis

2ADFTV 2.2 Diesel used in Avensis, Verso and RAV4 with auto gearbox

2ADHTV 2.2 Diesel used in Auris, Avensis, Verso & RAV otherwise known as T/SR180 models.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links