Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 2001 Vvti Knocking

moffat

Hello im just new to this forum. I recently bought a Toyota Celica 2001 1.8vvti.

when i bought it i never noticed the knocking noise i did check the oil and everything was fine untill i was driving it home. It seems to have a knock and ive done quite abit of research on it and it seems to be a common problem.

Now here is my question i was going to drop the oil pan and replace the big end bearings which appears to be the problem but i was wondering if the bearings were the problem or the actualy crank. Im not sure what one would be more likly to have the wear on it, i assume the crank because the bearings are designed to last a long time.

i was wondering if it would be worth me replacing them and seeing if it fixed it, it would make it worse depending on how the bearings are since i think if their is wear their the crank will be rattling and it will be my piston hitting the top of the engine. Just incase saying worse case the crank has worn and the bearings have slipped down to both sides and worn away the oil mark they sit in replacing them might make it rattle worse. sorry im going on abit.

I was looking for some advice on wether i should try replacing them and see if they are the problem messuring them with the micromiter and seeing if their is any difference for wear or would i be more sencibly just dropping the whole engine and replacing the crank.

Just seeing if anyone thinks it could just be the bearings at fault (well likly to be just the bearings) or the actualy crank. Thank you for reading and please get back to me with any suggestions.

Hello Ryan - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Post moved to the Celica club (with link left in General Discussions).

It's most likely in the cars past it has suffered from the oil burning issue (design flaw). It's been run low on oil, done the bearing in, so the previous owner has topped the oil up & sold it on.

Best advice is do an engine swap from a 2003 onwards model. These do not suffer from the oil burning issue and therefore are pretty sound engines.

Hi, Welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

I agree with Edwardio replacement is the way forward.

I concur with edwardio, Ryan..look for a replacement face lift VVTi engine, but NOT a re-conditioned one. Only then will you solve the underlining problem.

hello again :D thank you for the advice. I think i will just take the crank shaft out and get it milled down and repair the car though. I am abit old fashioned with engineering i like to repair things not replace them. I think this will be an experience as well i have not done things like this in a while but it is good to learn. If it doesn't work however i will most likly replace the engine with a 190. Thanks again for the advice. anyone have any advice for a rebuild? Oh and one last thing does anyone know were i can find torgue setting ect for this car i can't find a haynes manual. by torgue settings i mean the crank bearing ect

If you're going to fix it, then you're also best replacing the piston rings & maybe the pistons to the new designed ones, so that it doesn't continue/start to burn oil again.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links