Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Need Your Advise Help!

jerry phipps

In a couple of weeks from now i will be lowering my car. Now toyota a charging me for TTE spring to be supplied and fitted for a total of £269.58. Now i dont know about you but i think that is a lot of money. :angry:

Now i rang up a company called R TEC. They are a big modifying company with a good amount of accessory's. They have fitting bays the works. Now they said that they can supply and fit Eibach springs to my yaris T sport for a total of £242.36.

Now Eibach spring are ment to be the lord of the springs :D They both lower the car by 30mm. Eibach are known to fit springs to MERCS and BMWS. And are ment to be in a different league to the handling department.

Now if i go with TOYOTA it wont void my warranty. But if i go with R TEC it will. Now lets be honest. I have had a number of cars over the years and i have yet to buy any shocks for my car. Toyota claim if you buy other springs you can damage your shocks and rubber bushes.

I had a NOVA SR for 9 years and i never once replaced the shocks. Now I'm sure if i went with R TEC my shocks wouldn't just fall apart over the years. Yes it will properly wear a bit more because of the force of the springs pushing down on the shocks more hence it being 30mm lower.

Now do you think that it is worth loosing out on the cover for my shock absorbers wearing more as i fitted another manufacture springs.

Please give us a shout as i would really like to know you points on this one. Which spring do you think is better?

jerry!! :blink:

Hi Jerry, like you i have had to make this desicion, my Corolla T is having the springs done on Tuesday, in the end i opted for the TTE springs, but was able to negotiate a price reduction of 10% on parts and a saving on labour to, in the end i was convinced it was worht the extra to maintain the warranty, as it could cost a lot in the event of some missfortune, also have spoken with the insurance and as it its Toyota parts it is considered an upgrade and not a modification, so good news there.

As to the perfomance of after market springs over OME well yes there may be a slight improvement but Toyota would have us believe that they have done greater r&d with their product. :) so a little extra expense now may save a lot later, and looking at your figures we are not talking a huge amount anyway, with a little haggling i'm sure you could get a bit of discount from your Toyota garage.

Not sure if this helps is only my opinion after all :rolleyes:

If anyone knows how to make the best springs for your Toyota it is TTE-Toyota Team Europe, the guys responsible for Toyota WRC and F1 cars...some reputation, huh?

I'd go for TTE...for the "measly" couple of tens of pounds you'd void your long warranty and get possibly inferior springs that MAY damage your car...

Hi Jerry,

The only thing I can think you can do is to find a friendly mechanic who likes cash in hand jobs.

I got my TTE springs from Toyota at £137.98. Toyota wanted to charge an additional £100 for 2 hours labour!

The job only took my mechanic 45 minutes and he charged £60, this also included having the silencer removed from my zorst which took more time and welding on his part.

You need to ask around to see if anyone knows of a garage who's mechanics take on private work.

Hope this info helps you out.

Theresa

Hi dan I'm from luton why???

The only thing I can think you can do is to find a friendly mechanic who likes cash in hand jobs.

im a friendly grease monkey but it will cost you the difference in fuel to get here! never mind, sorry mate. oh and you could of seen a proper t sport! lol :D

I would have said the same mate.

I've just changed all my shox and springs on my glanza to tanabe street racing stuff the difference is amazing. I used to have a starlet sr which had the TTE setup on as standard and the tanabe set up is 10 times better.

All the fitting cost me was £20 for some spring compressors but i don't know how hard it would be to do a yaris.

If you want it fitted at a garage i would take it to toyota for the TTE stuff and haggle on the price.

Simon

You really have to consider what the difference is? Afterall it is not the cost - £25 quid for a warrenty approved upgrade rather than a nonwarrenty approved modification? If the performance is substantially better then maybe worth considering - but i doubt it will be as springs alone are not that much different from each other, I have the TTE ones and they a pretty good. R Tec are a great outfit though they did a £70,000 BMW for my brother - I couldnt fault it!

Steve.

cheers everyone thanks for all your advice. I guess its best to go with toyota. Like what jake said i might be able to get a discount. As i have brought 2 yaris T sports from them in the space of 3 months.

Hopefully about 10% of the price will do me :D

Cheers guys and girls

jerry :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links