Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

58 Avensis 2.2 Tr Diesel Air Con Pipe

kenjosh

I had to have the air con system topped up last June for the first time, and during a hot spell last month went to use it again (I had intermittently put it on during the winter), only to find it did not seem to work. Took it to my local Toyota dealer who had it for the day and eventually found that the "bottom pipe" had corroded and had developed a small split which was slowly releasing the gas. Trouble is that the garage wants £360 to do the job - they say 3 hours labour and about £100 for the pipe including VAT.

For a car only 5 1/2 years old I don't think that this is really on. Has anyone else experienced this trouble or have I got some bad alloy in the pipe?

Hello,

sorry to say it's a common fault and usually the leak is under the Battery area although it doesn't seem to be related to Battery acid etc, more of the way the poor quality thin pipe is weakened when the bends are formed. The replacement pipe is around £100 as you say so the remaining £260 would be about £60 for the regass and around £200 labour for fitting which seems a bit steep. Why don't you buy the pipe from Toyota and shop around for a local aircon garage to fit the pipe and regass the system.

Regards

Pete.

Thanks for info Pete. I guess some of the £200 labour might be a charge for the labour in finding the initial problem. I will ask. Because of circumstances I am having it done today at Mr T. I guess I will at least have piece of mind afterwards, even if my pocket is a little more empty.

Ken

£200 labour INC VAT equates to about £83 per hour. Depending on your location, its about right for main dealer prices

Just picked up the car. The pipe had a split under the Battery and the Battery and panel had to be removed to access it. Bolt sheared off in the process and was rebuilt. Apparently it was the high pressure pipe. Anyway it is now functioning as it should. Will take it back in a month to check for leaks. Hope that the latest version of the Avensis has a build to protect the pipe. Thanks everyone, for info on this.

Ken

Fair comment Mr Partsking, doing all my own repairs I don't really live in the real world.

Regards

Pete.

Fair comment Mr Partsking, doing all my own repairs I don't really live in the real world.

Regards

Pete.

:lol: I don't know where the OP lives but could well be £120 PH or more plus VAT darn sarf :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links