Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need People To Help Me Make My Mind Up!

strong_like_bull

Hi people, I drove past a local garage today and saw a 2001 celica parked outside, went in to have a look, pretty clean car for the the age, no bumps and interior still not bad, and the price was even better at £480, but when the car ran it seemed to have a rattle/knocking noise coming from the timing chain cover, and the exhaust was black and sooty. The guy said it's been sat a bit took it on a short drive and seemed to be ok, gearbox felt good, steering was ok and brakes where a little spongy.

Any idea what could be the cause of the knocking and black colour in the exhaust and there seemed to be a little white smoke out the exhaust at times and some residue on the underside of the oils cap,

Please help!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking :-)

If it's a 140, keep clear as it needs a new engine.

all pre 2003 140's suffer from a design flaw which can result in oil burning. If not kept on top of results in damaging the bearings.

Either buy a 2003 onwards 140 or any 190. If you buy a pre 2003 190, have the cam lift pins changed (they used to suffer from snapping. the post 2003 models had uprated pins).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links