Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Code Question P2238

hangemhigh

Hi

Just some clarification of location when looking at engine from front, sensor on Rh top??

Seen pics verifying but rather ask you guys, car had new clutch in January and after 2.5 hours motorway driving timing retarded code appeared, new oil etc code gone, now P2238. Appeared and gone on its own.

Is there a way to check and eliminate these codes or is it a possible damaged Ecu.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Andy have you had the fault codes cleared ? and do they re appear?

Thanks for quick reply

I have cleared them but it seems codes are showing up then going on their own it is weird

Have not used it much as it was running lumpy as if fuel starvation on Sunday so got in Tuesday and p2238. Appeared but ran ok. Started it last night and no codes!!

Quick update;

Just got in car with NO codes showing, metallic rattle on start up like a loose heat shield, but drove about a mile with sharp acceleration anif

d running quiet and sweet no hesitation. Or noises.I walk to work so will jump in tonight and see if anything changes.

Thanks

Top right as you say. Heat shield falls off eventually and rattle goes away! Well mine did. Positive Current ctrl circ low - god knows what that means.

Fingers crossed shield buggers off ha ha , will have another check later and post any updates .

Just drove to local shops and back , rattle ( metallic ) on acceleration definitely sounds like loose bolt - heat shield , will wait for weekend or tomorrow evening if fine .

I had this error come up intermittently a year ago, then it stopped, then recently it came back. Is it something to do with the weather? (Seriously.)

There was a period when I suspected that the problem was to do with the connector, which seemed to get oddly greasy inside. But I've just bought a replacement sensor, only to find that it shows a different error code, permanently this time. (I think it might be a duff one.)

If you have a loose heat shield, might it have rubbed through the insulation of the wires? Or maybe it just jiggles the lead and upsets the connection?

One thing to note is that with the P2238 detected, the engine switches to "open loop", i.e. it ignores the sensor. This makes it burn more fuel. I had my instantaneous fuel consumption showing on the radio display when cruising at 60 on the motorway. It was showing 6.5 litres/100km. When the engine light went on with the P2238 fault, that jumped instantly to 13.5

Steve,

Interesting , especially as I did fiddle with the wire from the sensor as I thought it was a bit taught ( stretched) , heat shields seem ok but tomorrow or Sunday weather permitting in South Wales ! I will investigate the shields properly.

I started it this morning with still no codes.

• 11 months later...

Hi mate would be interested to hear how you get on as I'm trying to help a friend with the same code issues

cheers Luke