Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screech/whine Coming From Middle/rear Under Load

nickyboy

This is my dad's 56 Rav4 T180 affected, 70k miles.

When i flloor it, once past say 3k, there is a loud screeching/whine noise coming from under the car. It's not coming from the engine. I've sat in the back to locate the noise, and it's definitely from underneath, maybe between the middle of the car and the back?

It does it in every gear, but only after say 3k. It is not speed dependent, only revs dependent.

It's not a stone stuck in the brakes, and none of the calipers are hot after a road test.

Gear changes are fine, no clutch slippage, no other symptoms.

Any ideas?

Check your heat shield on mid section of the exhaust, they can cause some disturbing noises when they come loose.

Mine was doing something similar so I put a large jubilee clip round the whole thing to stop it vibrating.

It was rev dependent by the way.

Phil

On first thoughts on rev dependency with moving parts,this ends with the input shaft to the gearbox so could it's bearing be complaining at that RPM.? Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox?

Sounds are notorious for appearing to come from one place but originating elsewhere.A friend of mine spent ages under the rear end of his motor convinced that the exhaust was causing a knocking sound that turned out to be a worn bush on the front.!!

Maybe time to broaden the search on this eh?

Have you ruled out that a belt could be at fault as the revs hit that high?

Good luck with this and let us all know if you cure this as it is always useful to know the outcome

Del

Is it only at 3k or constant above 3k? Reason I ask that I get a vibrating sound at 2.1k but at no other revs

from 3k onwards, louder as the revs increase.

Dad traded the car in today for a 60 plate Citroen C3 so we'll never know what the problem was.