Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption

Not Happy

hI i have posted my mpg to this topic, but i as unaware that you could take your car out of eco mode. i thought that all you could do was put it in eco or ev mode What do you do just press the eco mode button?

The car has three modes; Normal, ECO, and EV. If you press ECO, you'll switch the car between Normal and ECO modes.

ECO mode is indicated on the dash, so when you press the ECO button and the ECO dash light disappears, you're in Normal mode.

The HSD can and will switch the car between Normal and EV, as it sees fit. However, only the driver can put the car in ECO mode.

Personally, I've never had my car out of ECO mode. I don't see the point, this is the car's raison d'etre, after all.

For those of you that are new to Hybrids, most of the improvement in MPG is due to the warmer weather and you will get another surprise in autumn when the temperature falls.

ECO mode makes very little difference to overall MPG, it just makes the accelerator pedal feel mushy and the modulation of the aircon system does very little to help.

I am on Hybrid number 4, do the same journeys all the time, driving in the same style and the greatest effect on MPG is the outside air temperature.

Cold weather and heater use is much more penalising than the use of aircon in hot weather.

In my experience, the "weather" penalty is between 10 and 15 percent.

I have also tried Super Unleaded and that was a waste of money too.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all i'm pretty new to this as well so do bear with me.

I have recently purchased a 1.5 Hybrid Yaris for the reasons of saving fuel, I live in a city urban area and from Nottingham. I use mine around the city as well as sometimes up and down the M1 to the Sheffield areas and my average (as so far its all registered when i've filled up apparently anything below 15 litres and it messes the figures up like my wife did.) So anyway my average is 65 currently.

Ohh by the way, I drive with ECO selected all the time.

ISo anyway my average is 65 currently.

So is the 65mpg taken from the display or is it based on brim-to-brim re-fuelling?

Its from the vehicle's average reading, why is this not a reliable method ? The display is reset back to zero when its refuelled so its taken over the current journey history.

Fuel displays, regardless of manufacturer, tend to err on the side of optimism - and for a lot of people this method is fine.

A more accurate method is to brim the tank, zero the trip meter or take note of the mileage. When you next fill up, brim the tank again and note the mileage. Note how many litres are purchased and calculate the consumption using the mileage undertaken since the first brimming of the tank.

As regards brimming the tank, use the same garage and pump if possible, and decide what will be the trigger to identify the tank is brimmed - ie some use the first time the garage fuel pump cuts out when dispensing the fuel.

To get an proper idea of the average consumption, do this over several fill ups.

Which method you use depends on how accurate you wish to be as regards consumption.

The Honest John website - www.honestjohn.co.uk - also have a section called 'True mpg', where owners can submit their consumption figures, and the cumulative submissions give owners/prospective owners an idea of the consumption cars realistically achieve in actual use.

Some people also use a site called www.fuelly.com - where you can track and compare the fuel consumption you're getting.

Even the brim to brim method is not correct due to the fact that the average speedo is 10% fast, so are we all being conned? :naughty:

Pete.

Average speedo used to be about 7% fast, but in recent years the ones I've had have been better - two seemed to be 3mph fast at almost any speed. This is deliberate because the law allows a speedo to over-read (used to be up to 15%) but is not allowed to under-read at all; +15%/-0%. So manufacturers will always calibrate a bit high.

BUT that has nowt to do with the mileage section which doesn't have the 15/0 standard to meet. So if you have the correct wheels and tyres, and tyre pressures, there's no reason for that to be appreciably wrong.

My Yaris Hybrid has been a disappointment with fuel consumption, the best I have achieved is 54.5mpg. I am soon to be taking delivery of my new Aygo and hope to replicate the excellent fuel consumption I had from my first Aygo (minimum mid 50s to high 60s mpg). Other than the poor consumption and a rattily cabin its been a good car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am also a bit wary of the advertised sales quoted consumption. I have New Yaris Trend from March, started at 48mpg, now after 4000 miles the latest figure is 58 mpg. I have read that peek consumption will not be reached until over 5000 miles. As I am always now conscious of trying to get the best usage, I try not to accelerate hard unless in emergency, but still tend to cruise at 80 mph on motorways. My mileage has been a good mixture of long distance and around town. I have a feeling that the best consumption would be achieved in a flat area with no great need of hard accelerating. Although it performs adequately, I notice the car does struggle on long hills and the usage dives.

My Yaris Hybrid has been a disappointment with fuel consumption, the best I have achieved is 54.5mpg. I am soon to be taking delivery of my new Aygo and hope to replicate the excellent fuel consumption I had from my first Aygo (minimum mid 50s to high 60s mpg). Other than the poor consumption and a rattily cabin its been a good car.

I looked at buying one. After research I cam to the conclusion that due to local hills, I would not see better than 50 odd mpg.

The Battery cannot be recharged to > about 80% of its capacity so uphill/downhills are less efficient on recycling energy.

Did not buy.

Sorry to hear all these sad stories about Yaris fuel consumption. I bought mine new in March and straight away was achieving 48mpg after 600 miles. It has steadily risen to 58mpg after 4000 miles. We live in west London and the journeys have been mixed with some west country trips. The car definately does not like hills, so feel sorry for those of you in hilly locations. I think if poor consumption is the rule for hilly environments, I think you should all get together and get some compensation for having been mislead with the crazy sales figures. Do not give up, if it is a general problem for those living in hilly areas the problem needs to go public in order to warn potential new buyers. As I say, I personally have no axe to grind as appear to be one of the lucky ones. Honest John website gives average consumption which agrees with mine. I always check mileage after filling to top (brim to brim).

Sorry to hear all these sad stories about Yaris fuel consumption. I bought mine new in March and straight away was achieving 48mpg after 600 miles. It has steadily risen to 58mpg after 4000 miles. We live in west London and the journeys have been mixed with some west country trips. The car definately does not like hills, so feel sorry for those of you in hilly locations. I think if poor consumption is the rule for hilly environments, I think you should all get together and get some compensation for having been mislead with the crazy sales figures. Do not give up, if it is a general problem for those living in hilly areas the problem needs to go public in order to warn potential new buyers. As I say, I personally have no axe to grind as appear to be one of the lucky ones. Honest John website gives average consumption which agrees with mine. I always check mileage after filling to top (brim to brim).

The official fuel figures are EC mandated tests and as such makers are not responsible for failure to achieve them.

Anyone who does not realise that driving is hilly country affects fuel consumption is naive or a fuel.

• Like 1

Does anyone make use of the B mode to maximise regenerative braking? Have tried experimenting using this is as an alternative method to braking and really improved average fuel economy, achieving 75mpg (readout) over a 90 mile dual carriageway/fast a road but with lots of roundabouts journey, sticking to cruising speed of 55-60 using cruising control. Mostly driving my normally style; cruising 65-70mph but still using B mode my nearly 400 mile tank finished at 58 mpg brim-brim, 63 mpg readout. My second car is a leaf and advice for a full EV is to try and avoid using the brake where possible, and Yaris B seems to replicate that. Hopefully might help others, but would be interested in others thoughts, certainly am no technical genius!

Regenerative braking is limited by Battery capacity. When it is full, you save no energy.

'B' mode is intended to provide extra braking assistance when descending long hills. It's been proven to actually reduce the regeneration of energy. There's no reason to be using it for normal driving.

Regenerative braking is limited by battery capacity. When it is full, you save no energy.

Good excuse to floor it for a couple of miles to make space :D

• 1 month later...

Hi I have had my yaris hybrid since the 16th September.My best reading is 65.5 and have just done a full tank to full tank and have a average of 62.5.I just drive normally but am light on the accelerator.iI dont use the ecomode button and so far am very happy.

I bought a yaris hybrid back in 2012, i travel 64miles a day and i have an average of 48.7mpg.

I have a heavy foot. I have decided to buy a new yaris icon diesel which i am hoping to pick up on tuesday.

I hope this will give me better mpg.

Getting 63.1mpg from my 59 plate 1.4 diesel Yaris.

I am a light footed driver though.

I'm currently averaging 63mpg in my Mk1 diesel Yaris. This is with mostly town driving and me driving like a rabid ricing ***** :unsure:

(My driving style and discipline has gone down the tubes lately... I don't know why or how to fix this! :crybaby:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a yaris hybrid since january, the car records consumption as 56mpg and my continuous brim to brim calculations give 54mpg. I think these figures are reasonable when compared with other automatics. I believe the efficiencies are supposed to come from energy recovery when slowing down.

I've just purchased mine new 2014 hybrid excel. So far on my typical journey to work where my vw touran 1.9 TDI was getting 54 mpg (computer record) so far the yaris barely achieves 50 mpg.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated at the poor return on my investment in this car. I bought the 85 mpg concept and understand it was a little unrealistic... I would happily except mid to high 70's. So far gutted

Hybrids don't work in hilly country: that's why the road test jollies were in Holland.

Anyone who believes the EC figures are within 20% of reality is a hopeless optimist..

And a simple pre buying check will show that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchashed a Hybrid Excel MY15 as well and it has less than half fuel when I got it with 7 miles on the odo. I refuelled full tank at around 60mileage and I have done only around 100 miles. I always drive in ECO and I sometimes press the EV button to use the Battery.The avg mpg at the moment in the dashboard is around 43-45mpg. I hope to get a better reading when I have done longer mileage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links