Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Sensors Or Camera?

Dave61

Hi everybody,

I have reversing sensors on my current car but I have just bought a Yaris with a reversing camera. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Which is best sensors or a camera?

I have reversing sensors on my current car but I have also used a vehicle with a camera both are good but I like the audible beeps so I can reverse but still look around without having to concentrate on a small screen.

• Like 1

We've had reversing sensors on our last five cars, and haven't had any problem wth the sensors in use.

Think each system has their own advantages and disadvantages, and personal taste also comes into the equation.

For example: on some cars [not specifically Toyota] with reversing sensors, some owners have issues with the volume of the warning beeps; on some cars with the rear camera [again not specifically Toyota], sometimes rainwater can settle on the lens and obscure the image.

Suppose the best system would be to have both.

I have both & agree that's a better option.

Sensors will detect some things outside the view of the camera.

My car also came equipped with a towbar & I find that's a useful point of reference for judging when using the camera.

I also have both :)

I have not reversed into anything......YET ;)

I thought about having sensors as well but thought I wouldn't need both. Seems I may have made an error, too late now though.

It's funny really, all those years driving without either and now I can't imagine driving without either!

I bought META sensors which I fitted on my Yaris;s number plate.. No nasty drilling of bumpers.. Easy diy.

I find sensors are great: you can reverse without looking..:-) A reversing camera depends on you seeing the pedestrian who is just about to walk behind you as you reverse out in the supermarket car park.....

I have taken all your advice on board and asked for reversing sensors to be fitted to compliment the camera. I understand that the dealer fits the sensors.

Thanks everybody.

Still no delivery date as yet.

Totally personal preference, but I definitely would go in this order:

1. Both

2. Sensors

3. Camera

For me, you should always have a decent idea what is around you if you are paying attention, but what you really need is a judgement of distance when reversing. Granted, with a bit of practice you can calibrate yourself to either, but with the sensors you can still hear them when looking out front. It's like having eyes in the back of your head. Most of the time a camera just helps to reduce strain on your neck. Don't get me started on the implementation of the sensors on the Yaris though...

David

• Like 1

Yes, usually when parking sensors are ordered as an option they are fitted by the dealer. Mine were on both of my Auris - they're colour coded so don't look out of place.

implementation of the sensors on the Yaris though...

I'm intrigued....

Yes, I am too OrangeZorki, do tell, is there a problem?

Okay, it's not so very bad, but they can be quiet, particularly the front ones, and the front only acts over a very short distance and doesn't switch on or (more importantly) off automatically. Forget to switch it off and if someone walks in front of the car half an hour later when at a stop, it gives you a bit of a shock...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links