Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 2 Wheel Drive Confusion

don21

Really sorry if this is an obvious question but we are looking at possibly buying a caravan and as a loyal Toyota owner who knows just how good these things are put together I am looking at a Rav 4 as a tow car.

I currently drive a 57 plate Auris 2.0d4d with 86k on it and it has not missed a beat.

I work as a mechanic so not at all bothered if I have to pull the gearbox to do the DMF and clutch and not really scared about any other faults as they seem to suffer very few.

The one we are looking at is a 2011 facelift manual 2.2 d4d xtr so I am assuming the head gasket cooked engine issues are behind it.

This is were I am going to look really stupid. I note that some of the adverts state 2 wheel drive.

All the Ravs I hav had in at work have been 4wd and am now a bit confused.

Looking at the pics in the adverts there seems no obvious way of telling. No sticker on tailgate etc.

Was not even aware they did a 2 wheel drive version.

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware, in May 2009 Toyota introduced a base model 2.0 litre Valvematic petrol XTR with 2 wheel drive. This was replaced in May 2010 with a 2.2 diesel XTR 2 wheel drive.

Other manufacturers did something similar - for example Nissan did an X-Trail 2 wheel drive. Thinking behind this was that whilst people liked the practicality of an SUV, not everyone wanted the added complexity or cost of four wheel drive.

Won't the 4x4 versions simply have the 4WD Lock button on the dashboard when the 2WD won't?

No engine failure issues on this model and post 2006 cars don't really have a DMF failure issue. A quick look under the car will reveal the absence of a prop shaft and rear drive shafts on 2WD versions - it's often difficult to tell from classified ads. Pre 2012 2WD cars will be petrol but post 2012 diesels can be 2WD or AWD.

Thanks Guys,

Not really sure how important 4wd would be for towing but all the adverts I have seen on Autotrader say 4x4 but now I am aware that some may be 2wd I suppose I have to ask before I take a long trek to view one.

There would obviously be a price difference.

The road tests on the 2wd vs the 4wd were unflattering : "don't bother" was the kindest I read.

The road tests on the 2wd vs the 4wd were unflattering : "don't bother" was the kindest I read.

I agree.

I can't see any point in buying a 2wd 4x4. You get all the downsides (extra weight, increased mpg, etc.) but no added traction advantages. I would say that you'd be much better advised to buy an MPV, something like a Galaxy or a Zafira, or a big estate car, say a V70 or Superb, where you'll get plenty of space, the 2wd that you're looking for and better mpg.

If you want a good reliable 4x4 then go for a RAV - but not a 2wd!!

• Like 1

Rav4 4 wheel drive pull away in 4 wheel drive then depending on road conditions at around 24mph the rear drive 'kicks out' and it becomes a front wheel drive car unless any wheels start to spin, this is done by a very clever tried and trusted gismo on the rear end. This changing to front wheel drive once you are going saves tyre wear and gives a smoother ride but you can of course over ride the system manually but the car is very intelligent and knows itself when to re-engage he rear wheel drive. The system is very sophisticated and the 'AWD' button on the dash in reality you probably won't ever need to use.

Very early petrol i believe models were two wheel drive only but not as good as the four wheel drive later versions.

Mike169

Some of the 3 door cars between 2000 and 2005 were 2WD. These were the NV model with 1.8 litre engines.

I have just bought a 2.2 diesel Rav 4 specifically for towing a caravan. Ours is a big caravan (1400KG) and the Rav tows it beautifully.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Well confused now.

I get the bit about some later ones being 2WD but the bit about the others being 4WD until 24mph........?

Is that the case with all 4WD Ravs. Mine is a 1998 R reg petrol manual model.

And the AWD button referred to, earlier in the thread, is that the button that I am taking as a Diff lock?

Perhaps someone could explain what this button does.

Cheers

Jonathan

The system is different with different models. Your model up to 2000 has permanent 4 WD 50% of the power permanently goes to the rear wheels. The button on the dash is a differential lock - it's used only to get you out of a situation when one wheel is spinning say on soft ground - the effect of this would normally be to loose the drive on the opposite side - the diff lock ensures that the power goes to both sides of the axle. You should rarely need to use the system and it should never be used for normal driving. From 2006 - the Rav is part time 4WD. The car starts off in 4WD then changes to 2WD - the drive to the rear wheels is then varied according to a number of factors - several parameters are measured by sensors and fed into the transmission ECU. The button on the panel fixes the power to the rear wheels at 50% in order to get out of a tricky situation where there is a lack of traction. It's not really needed - the transmission should vary the power automatically. If you attempt to drive along with the button engaged - it's automatically cancelled when you reach 24MPH.

Mine is permanent 4 WD then. Happy with that.

And the Diff lock: works like a normal diff lock then? always ensures that power is sent to each wheel even if it losses traction?

your 1998 (4.1) Rav4 diff lock doesn't lock an axle but the diff BETWEEN the front and rear axle... to make sure that 50% goes to the front and rear axle

some other 4x4 have a diff lock what actually locks the diff of an axle so both wheels do keep power even if one wheel loses grip, like some Hilux do have a rear diff lock with a switch on the dash

your 1998 (4.1) Rav4 diff lock doesn't lock an axle but the diff BETWEEN the front and rear axle... to make sure that 50% goes to the front and rear axle

some other 4x4 have a diff lock what actually locks the diff of an axle so both wheels do keep power even if one wheel loses grip, like some Hilux do have a rear diff lock with a switch on the dash

Thanks for that Bitman.

Much obliged.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links