Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grom Audio Kit

Nightstalker

Hey there guys :toot:

I've just installed a Grom Audio USB android box to interface with my B9004 system.

Is there anyone out there who's also installed one of these black boxes for an Android phone, not an iPhone, and has had problems with it ?

I've had quite a lot of intermittent distortion and every now and then the phone app freezes and I need to reset the phone or even take the Battery out of it to get the app working again... anybody had a similar issue like mine ?

regards

Rob

:thumbsup:

What rom are you using ?

Its the GROM-USB2 with just the phone USB cable. Was no point in getting the bluetooth cable as the Rav has built in bluetooth already....

Are you using their app to stream the audio or using the direct streaming mode?

I hear the app can be a bit buggy on some phones; Make sure the app is the latest version and also try updating the firmware of the GROM box to the latest version (There are instructions on their website) and see if that helps, otherwise if your android supports direct streaming mode, that should be more stable...?

Direct Streaming??? :ermm:

You've got me there... :blush:

I'm using the app which you need to down load.

I think I've realised what is causing the music to stop/the app to freeze... I dont think the app likes it when you set the stereo to random.... as soon as I deselect this from the headunit the freezing ceases to occurr...

Would be interested what you mean by direct streaming...do you mean to use the software that came with the phone, or used the blue tooth capability via the grom bluetooth kit (which I dont have btw)

Once I've got this going propperly I can leave my CDs at home.... cant wait :driving:

regards

Rob

:euro:

Well IIRC, you can just plug the android in without installing anything, turn on some option in the prefs/settings and then load up any audio player and the sound output will send audio to the Grom unit directly.

There should be something in the manual about it, but I only read about it on the website when I was reading up on them ages ago so I don't know much more. :(

It did seem a bit of a gimmick tho' since it has the same effect as plugging the phone's headphone socket into the car's AUX stereo jack but with more hassle! :lol:

Ahh...

this one does not plug in via an aux socket... this one is a usb connection into the phone...

I thought I had it cracked when I switched off the random play setting on the headunit, as you can set the grom player to random, so I thought perhaps both being set to random might be clashing.... this aint the case...

Getting intouch with Carputer shop to let them know Im having issues with the app... see what they come up with...

Have you looked here for firmware updates for the unit and software??

http://www.grom-audio.co.uk/android

The thing I was talking about is not through the AUX - There is supposed to be a mode that simulates playing via the AUX, but over USB (This is the direct streaming mode I was taking about)

See here: http://www.indashpc.org/vbullettin/viewtopic.php?p=5929

Main downside with it is that you can only control it via the phone tho' as it just outputs sound; Steering and dash controls won't work, so generally the AAlinq thing is better..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links