Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Footwell Lamp Kit

Ashtons99

I've noticed this as an option but at £85 I'm wondering what you exactly get.

I'm guessing at best it is a couple of courtesy style lamps and some wiring to connect into the courtesy lamp circuit.

Can anyone comment

I can It consists of 2x amber LED's in a small housing and a threaded nut. Worth about £2 ana length of cable. Worth another £3. They are mounted on the triangle to the right of the drivers feet and left of the passengers feet. They are quite dim and not a pleasant colour. For mounting you have to drill a hole in each panel using a template and connect the wires to the existing wiring loom. You are far better off getting a LED strip from eBay which you can cut to size and mount them under the plastic lip of the bottom of the dash for about £10 wiring instructions are available on a toyota link

David

Thanks very much David. I guessed it would be something which could be achieved much easier and cheaply

Here is what mine look like using a form of the LED strip

post-109788-0-45222300-1399584221_thumb.

They look better and match the whiteness of the standard interior lamp a lot better

I also do modifications for the original interior light as its output is so poor. It gives you a much brighter light output and an increase in beam angle so the light covers all the front and partially the rear. Iit is still in the original housing

David

post-109788-0-49975800-1399584834_thumb.

• Like 2

I did my own footwell lighting kit using an LED lamp from eBay that looks very similar to the genuine item. I like to keep a stock look as much as possible.

I have detailed most of my mods on this thread, I think the footwell lighting is in page 3 and I did my own interior light too, very simple and very bright. :)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/

Craig.

We have the footwell kit, plus the lamp improvements Dave sells, plus a pair of map lights on the bottom of our autodimming mirror. With all of them together, the interior lighting is adequate, but only just.

Dave's is the best approach to take. The front ball is head and shoulders above the OEM light, and the rear compartment "light thing" is centrally located and a brilliant white - essential in the black hole that is the rear compartment of the iQ.

Plus 1 - If you only do one thing to upgrade the interior lighting, then David's (Tarquin) upgraded Dome light is a must.

Plus 1 - If you only do one thing to upgrade the interior lighting, then David's (Tarquin) upgraded Dome light is a must.

Ditto to that, far superior, especially when you think that the original light is outshone by the R'se of a firefly!

Craig i revisited your interior light mod. Where did you connect the red and black supply wires to your led cluster?

If you connected them to the pins on the original socket on the circuit board, did you replace the 3x 180ohm resistors with links if your cluster is 12v

David

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry David, Just saw your reply.

Here is a couple of pictures of what I did.

The red and black wires are positive and negative to the LED cluster below.

The positive is connected to the central pin of the main connector which is a permanent live supply from the loom. I decided to unsolder and remove the diode at the end of the track from the central pin making the diode and the resistors all redundant. I soldered the positive cable into the hole left by the removed leg of the diode.
( Maybe un-soldering the diode was unnecessary to be honest, So long as I connected before the resistors I guess they could have been left connected? )

The negative supply just needs connecting to the central position on the switch slider pads and the easiest place for this was at the end of the track that feeds the original LED light 2 pin connector.

That was it. All positions of the turn switch still work so it can be turned on manually or with the doors or turned off. If I ever wanted to go back to the original LED I guess just refit the original lamp, remove the cables and re-solder the diode through the hole in the board.

Hope that helps

Craig.

post-116364-0-39619900-1400787740_thumb.

post-116364-0-94750600-1400787750_thumb.

Hi craig

I only have one thing to say that you might want to consider. The diode has a job of safety in the circuit. There is one on every separate circuit connected to the display lighting and. All he Led's that have switches associated with them. They are there to stop any back emf spikes going back to the ECU and damaging it. Maybe not so important on the dome but on the window switches there are some high currents at the point the switch makes contact. I would put it back in the the circuit. There is only 0.7v across it so no real loss of light output but a safer bet. If you did want to put it back in but have discarded it, you can use a 1N4001 from Maplin.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links