Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2015 Gen Iv Prius -Wish List

APS

I've followed the Prius development fairly closely - well, as close as you can being a normal punter on the interwebs, and I'm quite excited about the upcoming next gen Prius due out next year. While we have three Toyota hybrids (auris, ct200, Prius+), I don't have a normal Prius. I would be really keen to hear what other Prius owners would put as their top five items on their new Prius wish list...

Here's my list...

- higher perceived quality interior

- less engine noise

- better performance

- towing capability

- stiffer chassis (soak up bumps and pot holes better)

I haven't included better fuel economy as it's assumed to improved with any new version.

Hmm, now I can think of more things to improve but I'll stick to this list for now. What would your list look like?

P.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Add to your list less tyre noise, and get rid of the squeaks and rattles, and it would be an Audi A4/BMW 3 series/Mercedes C-Class beater.

It would also need a bit more power to match the larger engined variants of the above.

Pete

Peter - I concur fully. Every Toyota I've had in recent years seems to have creaking interior and it really puts me down. This is what I meant by higher quality interior. The highly recyclable plastics they use may be very environmentally sound but it is super creaking and scratches if you as much as look at it a little too long.

The reduced road noise would be ever so welcome too.

In auto lingo this is referred to as "reduced NVH" (noise vibrations & harshness).

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

A bigger bank balance - allegedly it's going to be pricier, to add differentiation from the Auris

Yes please. The Prius is now a strong brand on its own. Start saving now :)

The rumoured optional four wheel drive will probably push prices even further north - but makes me hopeful of a towing ability.

Sent from my iPhone

A bigger bank balance - allegedly it's going to be pricier, to add differentiation from the Auris

Then it really needs to improve it's game.

My personal thoughts on the new Prius are that it should ONLY be a plug in, have more power on electric and improve the interior.

The traditional hybrids can remain in the Yaris, the Auris and possibly the Avensis. The Prius family could be the plug in option, otherwise why have it if there's a hybrid Avensis?

The Prius family could be the plug in option, otherwise why have it if there's a hybrid Avensis?

Toyota UK seem to be going down the 'You don't have to plug it in' route.

It is all over the UK website and their hybrid demonstrators (round here at least).

The Prius family could be the plug in option, otherwise why have it if there's a hybrid Avensis?

It is all over the UK website and their hybrid demonstrators (round here at least).

I know but if they're hybrising ALL their cars, then the Prius becomes surplus to requirements covered by both the Auris HSD and a possible Avensis HSD.

The Prius would just be more of the same. My idea (and it is just that) would be to make the Prius a plug in only and the rest of the family are hybrids.

I know but if they're hybrising ALL their cars, then the Prius becomes surplus to requirements covered by both the Auris HSD and a possible Avensis HSD.

The Prius would just be more of the same. My idea (and it is just that) would be to make the Prius a plug in only and the rest of the family are hybrids.

Great points, and you give me reason to elaborate on the rather long winded reason I asked about the wishlist...

I remember Toyota UK made a statement about six (?) years ago that said they would offer all their products as either hybrid-only or hybrid as an option by 2020. Of course now I cannot find that statement to backup my claim so you'll have to take my word for it. In any case, I think we can pretty safely assume the Avensis along with other models will come in HSD flavour as well (hybrid for the GT86 has been discussed too).

This doesn't make the Prius redundant though. In that case you could argue the Auris Tourer made the Prius redundant by offering more space with equal fuel economy. The fact the new HSD models exist is great, it brings the major hybrid benefits like convenience, fuel economy and reliability to a much larger audience.

No, I think this will focus the positioning of the Prius back to where it was; as the global spear head of the leading edge of green tech from Toyota. It will be sandwiched between the hybridised Toyota HSD models and the Lexus h models with the image of the avant-garde transportation for the eco-conscious who want the latest and want to be seen as 'doing their bit' - oh, and who are willing to pay for it.

True the hybridisation of the other models have diluted this somewhat, therefore I think it will be very interesting to see what they will do with the Prius to differentiate.

I think these may be some differentiators..

- Latest Battery / ICE technologies

- Best Cv value - less compromise on aerodynamics vs practicality

- Futuristic design throughout

- and it seems like four wheel drive will come

- Maybe the new fuel cell car will get the Prius Badge?

• Like 1

Exactly my thoughts.

If the new Prius has to live up to its name it has to be a radical change i.e. a fuel cell (?) If that was the case the current "really green" Prius drivers have something to look forward to and the more "just a nice car" type of Prius drivers will have to choose another hybrid model from the range. For that reason, a new (greener) Prius wouldn't see a higher comfort level if that would cause a higher environmental impact. The same reasoning they had when designing the Prius initially. Pure speculation on my side of course.

A fuel cell? You seen how much they cost? You'd also have trouble filling up as I think there are only a handful of filling stations in the UK. Toyota won't release the new Prius as hydrogen as sales would bomb.

An updated or uprated plug in would work.

Saying all this. The Prius sells in the US and Japan mainly (sells in the hundreds of thousands a year) so any updates will be based on what those markets want. If the Americans have anything to do with it it'll get a 4 litre V8, do 0-60 in 5 seconds, be bigger and wider to accommodate their erm fuller figures and only get 30 mpg and they'd still think it economical ;)

maybe the mention of a Prius in an article like this......

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/real-world-mpg-best-cars-beat-60mpg/1293745?utm_medium=EMAIL&

utm_campaign=ENews%20Bulletins&utm_source=May%2012,%202014&utm_content=article1_readmore

I think now the Prius is looking very precarious, as no congestion charge exemption Thanks to Boris, And is it worth the Money lol, in my opinion NO.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Toyota OC mobile app

lol, WhatCar magazine, the magazine that appears totally sold out to Volkswagen group. Notice how their vehicles however good or bad will get glowing reviews, yet anything else is mediocre to them.

I also really get particularly grumpy with that magazine as they refer to diesel as green or clean. lol it couldn't be further from the truth.

lol, WhatCar magazine, the magazine that appears totally sold out to Volkswagen group. Notice how their vehicles however good or bad will get glowing reviews, yet anything else is mediocre to them.

I also really get particularly grumpy with that magazine as they refer to diesel as green or clean. lol it couldn't be further from the truth.

You are not alone on that opinion. Unfortunately it's made me ignore much of what WhatCar writes and look at other sites who in general are more balanced and informed.

• Like 1

I never have, and never will, take any notice of the tripe that most of the motoring magazines spout. I can make my own mind up about which car suits me, thank you very much.

Besides which they don't appear to have many testers who are approaching their 70s, as per myself!

But back on topic for a mo, I really hope they can improve the seat quality/adjustments in the next model. Mine almost cripples me after an hour or so driving, however I set it.

And - a favourite gripe of mine - forget those damn auto wipers and lights, give me variable wipers and self-folding door mirrors please! (These may have been included on the facelift version, I don't know).

• Like 3

Auto light are ok but I agree, auto wiper are a bit random IMO.

I'd like seats that fit taller people, i.e. the backrest not sloping forward below the top of my back.

a lot more adjustment in the telescoping of the steering wheel, it's hard to get the reach right when your legs are not scrunched up.

a lot less road noise (although my Prius+ is already better than the standard Prius in this respect)

better quality interior and more choice of interior colours like tan, biege etc.

Engine noise is not a problem once you learn to drive it properly.

The plug-in should have 40 miles range like the Ampera and one HV Battery instead of two separate systems for EV and HV.

and finally the ICE should be able to run on home made elderberry wine as an alternative fuel. :flowers:

• Like 1

...The plug-in should have ... and one HV battery instead of two separate systems for EV and HV...

The plug-in does have one Battery, it's just managed such that it gives the impression they are separate. I guess that's to enable the plug-in range to be preserved, so that you can run on electric at your destination, for example. If I had one, on a longer journey I'd save it for traffic jams, and use it up when I'm nearer the destination if I hadn't already.

• Like 1

...give me variable wipers and self-folding door mirrors please! (These may have been included on the facelift version, I don't know).

Yup! my 2012 T3 Prius has folding mirrors. If I wanted to be picky (who me? :jester: ) it would be nice if they worked without having the power on, or off the key like some very cheap cars!

and finally the ICE should be able to run on home made elderberry wine as an alternative fuel. :flowers:

There are owners in the US who already run the standard Prius on E85 with no issues, even after tens of thousands of miles.

Not sure I'd be brave enough, though might give a full tank a pop one day if I see it on my travels.

Thanks for the contributions - my take the latest reqests

AutoWipers - I don't mind them. I don't really have any problems with them but wouldn't miss them terribly either.

AutoLights - Lights should always be on as soon as the engine is running (start button pressed on the prius). Both front and rear lights. This is a question of safety so not really up for discussion. It's mind boggling that it's taken EU 30+ years to legislate on daytime running lights. And now it's kind of half-hearted that you only have always-on lights in the front but not the rear.

BetterSeats - agree. I almost handed my 2002 Corolla back because the lack of adjustment. Prius is better but...

• Independently adjustable seat cushion for tilt to improve support for taller people
  • Better lateral support (hugging)
  • Adjustable Lumbar support - which I think most Prius have already

Fun to see that there is actually quite a lot of agreement on points to improve.

Yes, I was referring to the 'dusk-sensing' headlights (which I've never used in 6 years of Avensis/Prius ownership).

Got no problem at all with daytime running lights - excellent idea and wish my car had them. Unfortunately, as I once read somewhere else, some manufacturers manage to make their cars look like council houses at Christmas - but thankfully not Toyota of course!

Auto headlights, as per the T spirit are quite useful when going through multiple tunnels in the Pyrenees (this June), but mostly a waste of time

One member suggested that one can improve the drivers seat by placing one or two 3/8" washers under the front bolts, to raise the front of the seat squab, and I have bought some to do that.......has anybody else tried this??

not exactly a 2015 modification, but more 2014 DIY

• Like 1

I do think auto lights will become standard in the future.

Not tried the washers under the seat frame. Sounds a bit cumbersome to adjust. I know the top of the range Avensis used to come with electrically adjustable seats which also had adjustable seat cushion.

Sounds like the Prius needs to move upmarket.

Sent from my iPhone

So the consensus on improvements we would like to see in the IV Gen Prius so far is...

- Improved Interior with more personalisation options

Higher quality plastic that don't creak or rattle

Better seats with more adjustments for taller people

- Improved NVH

Quieter cabin with less road/wind/engine noise

- Improved EV range

Larger capacity Battery

Maybe plug-in capability as standard

- Alternative fuel for ICE

Run on Elderberry wine :)

- Anything I've missed out?

...oh, and I would still like to be able to tow with it. But maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links