Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Knocking Noise

micmurphy

Hi

I have a knocking noise. Its sounds like it beneath the foot pedal area. I have replace ball joints,control arm bushing,stabilizing bar bushings,stabilizing links, rods ends and both strut mounts. I have practically overhaul the front suspension. Could it be the steering rack? Advice needed!

Hi,

Would help if you said what year and what model and version you have.

Again no details of when the knock happens, anytime, on braking or cornering or over bumps ..?

Did you test, or did a recent MOT reveal any play in any of those joints before you replaced them all ?

The whole steering rack is mounted on some rubber bushes which can wear.

It could be the exhaust catching ?

Things like the brake cylinder and servo secure on the bulkhead ?

I have a toyota corolla t3 2003 3dr. I hear the noise when i am travelling over bumps, as the suspension moves faster.

Hi,

If some joint is causing a knock it usually has some movement which can be physically felt.

You have not said if you or anyone else has actually tested the joints in this way, though it not always easy if you do not know how to apply the right type of leverage either by hand or with a tool.

I generally leave it to the yearly MOT inspection of the underside /suspension as they have all the lifting gear to be able to check the joints thoroughly.

Sometimes they do find a little play, not enough to fail but to let you know where a potential problem is.

If not due such a test, you could always ask a local garage to do you an underside check for a few pounds.

Have you checked for a broken or out of position suspension spring, there is ususally a thin rubber washer under the bottom of the spring to keep it quiet.

Also what about the dampers/struts, if they are original they could be the cause and at that age will be well worn anyway.

Also don't forget more mundane things can cause knocks like loose or worn bonnet or door hinges etc.

Even consider that it might be a rear problem as sounds do travel around the bodywork.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links