Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking Sound

deerhunter

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Avensis 1.8 t3x and over the last couple of months I have noticed a strange clunking sound which seems to be coming from the front.

I have fitted new discs and pads and had a good look around but the noise is still there.

This usually seems to happen when starting to move forwards first thing in a morning or when its been stood for a long period.

If I start the car and don`t move it,it doesn`t happen.

Has anyone else had this or can identify it please.

Hi deerhunter,

Is it specifically after being stood for a while? If so, approximately how long?

It sounds like the pads are just binding to the discs a little. They tend to stick a bit and then when you move the car, forwards or reverse, the pads and discs separate and cause a bang noise and then they'll not make a noise again.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Toyota OC mobile app

Hi Leeroy,

In an attempt to stop this I have fitted new discs and pads, greased the pins etc and the wheels spin freely.but it is still happening.

The sound only happens when moving forwards and is more of a clunk than an expected bang of sticking pads.

It almost sounds like something is locating itself, if that doesn`t sound stupid.

Wear in the gearbox differential?

Are you sure it is not just the traction control engaging as you start off first thing? Just a thought.

the ABS does a self-check iirc ~12mph which causes a noise. Could this be it?

I know this may sound silly but are the pads the right size? If they are, are the brake carrier shims in place? If not this could cause the pads to move around and make noise.

If not, have you checked the rear brakes too as these could be making a bit of noise too.

I guess that the clunking sound is happening whilst you are letting the clutch out??..Is so i would be looking towards a worn clutch its self or worse case scenario the "Dual Mass Flywheel" on its way out ..?what sort of mileage has the car done..could also be an engine mount fubared,might be worth a diagnosis by an expert in the field like mr Clutch or someone of that ilk. shouldn't cost anything for that even to put your mind at rest.

Thanks for the replies folks,

As the noise happens when the car is moving slowly it sounds like it could possibly be the ABS which is making the noise.

I will try turning the traction control off before I move off in the morning and see if that makes any difference.

Id check to see if all the brake pads shims are there. These sandwich between the end of the pads and the brake carrier but should 'click' into the carrier.

ABS doesn't work under 5 mph ish and i don't think traction control would be a problem either.

From memory I think there have been issued of worn guide pins or similar in the calipers allowing pads to move around causing the clunk. There were a bunch of posts about it on here a while ago. Try a search and see what comes up.