Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Iq /scion Chain/belt

kai3747

hi does anyone know when and if i need to change the timini belt/chain <in iq is chain) ?? thanx in advance

Both the 1 litre 1KR-FE and the 1.33 litre 1NR-FE petrol engines used in the IQ and other Toyota models are chain driven.

i was told by a Toyota mechanic that if you do regular services and keep the oil topped up the chain should never need replacing.

not sure how true that is, but mine is 4 years old and is as sweet as a nut.

Chains don't last forever but do last much longer than rubber belts, in fact nothing lasts forever in it's original form, I guess it depends upon how long you expect your IQ to last in terms of Miles ? I would expect a cam chain life well in excess of 100,000 miles subject to correct maintenance and no abuse.

As cars are not made to last as long these days it should not be a problem for most people, One reason I bought my IQ was because of the lack of the requirement to change the rubber cam belt. Chains do last longer.

My peugeot 406 had chain cam and is sounded very sweet when i sold it on, on its original chain at 258,000 miles

David

• Like 1

My peugeot 406 had chain cam and is sounded very sweet when i sold it on, on its original chain at 258,000 miles

David

Well David that's a great example of chain V rubber belt ! Chain for me every time, or gear driven OHC !

• Like 1

David

My 406 diesel hdi taxi ran way over 300k miles on the same engine with no issues. I had sold it on to a colleague and he was very happy with it and kept me updated. The gearbox was a different matter though, as we a multitude of electrical gremlins.

Modern chains are the way to go.

To be fair the wiring loom kind of snakes over the front of the engine and that developed 2 faults which made the vane meter lose supply voltage intermittently causing it to go into limp home mode. I simply worked out the supply requirements and took a feed from a ACC point. Bingo. Garages would not have touched it. Its still around i see it occasionally

David

David

My 406 diesel hdi taxi ran way over 300k miles on the same engine with no issues. I had sold it on to a colleague and he was very happy with it and kept me updated. The gearbox was a different matter though, as we a multitude of electrical gremlins.

Modern chains are the way to go.

I have a feeling that my IQ wont last 300,000 Miles ! ?

Had a 2006 C-class merc which has chain, more than 8mm stretch at only 50k miles.

And the cost was about four times higher than any belt-change I have ever done.. The sprockets cost a fortune.

Merc says this is a lifetime item, which explains why there are so many cars equipped with the M271 engine that has valve crash / engine failure.

Newer cars have chains with less mechanical resistance to meet emissions. Which most often means weaker..

Does anybody still use duplex chains at all?..

Have faith. Change the oil and look after it and I think it'd get there. Had a Mondeo 2.0 petrol that got just shy of 300k. OK it was slack and rattled like a bus, but you could rely on it starting every morning and it still got over 40 mpg on a run.

There is no reason the IQ shouldn't achieve high miles. People think 100k is high and 150k is amazing. 150k is just run in :)

• Like 1

Have faith. Change the oil and look after it and I think it'd get there. Had a Mondeo 2.0 petrol that got just shy of 300k. OK it was slack and rattled like a bus, but you could rely on it starting every morning and it still got over 40 mpg on a run.

There is no reason the IQ shouldn't achieve high miles. People think 100k is high and 150k is amazing. 150k is just run in :)

I hope your right !

• Like 1

Regarding High Miles on an IQ, most people who own an IQ seem to do fairly low miles, so miles may not be the deciding factor, I read somewhere that the EU are looking to bring in leglislation that includes a max 10 year life for air bags then they need to be replaced, if this is right and this law is passed and you have a 10 year old IQ the 9 air bags might cost more to replace than the car is worth, and then if they are not changed it will fail a MOT, has anyone else heard of this or am I just mistaken ? (sometimes I am) !

• Like 1

The EU will have descended into civil war, political division and chaos by the time 10 years is up on our airbags.

One wonders if we're in the equivalent of 1937? History does repeat itself all too often.

• Like 1

The EU will have descended into civil war, political division and chaos by the time 10 years is up on our airbags.

One wonders if we're in the equivalent of 1937? History does repeat itself all too often.

Well this thread is drifting "off topic" as many do and a moderator will edit it in about 30 seconds ! anyway re EU you might be right and with some luck the UK will be out of EU ! so air bag issues might dissapear !

It wasn't politic, it was still within the subject of 'airbags' so we'll be safe from the mods scythe - I hope :)

• Like 1

Air bags are a funny old thing. They give you the sense of safety but you never know if they will deploy. So there you are looking after them like babies, then all of a sudden they are all out of date and you have to have new ones to look after for 10yrs. So effectively after 10yrs your perfectly usable car is dead in the water. If you did replace them, 7 yrs down the line who would buy a perfectly working car with a known life span of 3 yrs. gone then is the Classic car we all love to see. As these airbags would have been obsolete by then

David

i was told by a Toyota mechanic that if you do regular services and keep the oil topped up the chain should never need replacing.

not sure how true that is, but mine is 4 years old and is as sweet as a nut.

Bottom line of all of this is that - High quality and correct rated chains enclosed and continuas lubricated are the way to go !

Why does an airbag get "out of date" or "overdue" .... what will happen if you just leave it for 15 years... NOTHING.... 20 years NOTHING.... 25 years... NOTHING....NOTHING AT ALL...

It's a scam....boys and girls.. do not believe this... :-P

Same as the time span for 'rice/sugar/coffee/etc.' ... it's just all merchandising ... and making money off of you...

So I am not going to replace them ever... (only if it's obligatory by law AND with ALL cars).

How do the old Mercs work after 25 years with airbags... nothing happens... NOTHING...

As regards the lifespan of vehicle airbags, have a look at the following article from 2010:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8078919/Out-of-date-airbags-should-not-need-replacing.html

As regards the cost of replacing SRS airbags, we had a 2003 Mazda Premacy from new, and when it was approx 3.5 years old, the SRS warning light on the dashboard began flashing whilst we were on holiday. When we got back home, we booked it into our local dealer who found that the driver's airbag had developed a fault and needed replacing. The airbag module that included a new skin for the centre of the steering wheel cost £750 just for the part (this was back in 2007) - it was replaced under the extended warranty, so cost us nothing.

Often where cars are involved in crashes, and are repairable from a mechanical or body structure viewpoint, but some or all or the airbags get deployed, the cars are written off purely due to the expense of replacing the airbags.

Back to chains, belts and lubrication ........ (ooh err)

Air bags may be very good safety features, however they are also an item that can render a good old car worthless in a few years time.

I hope the UK exits the EU and all the laws are stopped in there tracks so the costs are reduced.

If safety is a concirn (ie accident reduction) then everyone should have to pass an advanced IAM driving test every 10 years or loose there licience ! that will improve road safety, prevention is better than air bags in my view.

If you need an air bag the accident has already occured !

I passed my IAM test in 1988, and have not had a accident in the UK since then !

Air bags may be very good safety features, however they are also an item that can render a good old car worthless in a few years time.

I hope the UK exits the EU and all the laws are stopped in there tracks so the costs are reduced.

If safety is a concirn (ie accident reduction) then everyone should have to pass an advanced IAM driving test every 10 years or loose there licience ! that will improve road safety, prevention is better than air bags in my view.

If you need an air bag the accident has already occured !

I passed my IAM test in 1988, and have not had a accident in the UK since then !

Sorry I have gone "off subject" again I never ask for permission only forgiveness !

My step father had a head on smash in a 14 year old Renault a couple years ago. The airbags all worked a treat and everyone walked away with no lasting injury.

I fear the 10 year rule is like the 2 year BBE date on a tin of beans. They'll probably work well after 10 years but the further past that time the more luck will be part of the equation. Still, so long as you're aware and happy about that, then what's the problem. People still drive Model T's or Ford Anglia's and even Morris Marina's, yet such cars are deadly by todays standards.

I'd rather have a world why you take the chance. If you don't want to drive in a car over 10 years old, then buy a new one. And if we're going on the subject of scrapping cars after 10 years, what good does that do for the environment? Surely it's better to keep a car going than buy a new one? It's just a cynical attempt and getting people to buy crap French cars.

• Like 1

Well compairing air bag life to dates on bean cans is interesting, I have spent 40 years making metal cans in the packaging industry all over the world, the bottom line is that there is safety margin built in to all these dates, however the average and range of the (SPC) statistical data varies quite a lot dependant upon many factors that are too long into on this post.

However there are some similarities to food cans and air bags as they both can kill you in certain circumstances, air bags by not working correctly when they are needed and food cans carrying deadly bugs that can also kill you, so hence the need for a safety margin in the dates !

The bottom line is that the air bags may not deploy correctly after a certain time, and in my humble view the risk should be left up to the user rather than forced by law.

The law contradicts itself by allowing classic cars with no safety features compaired to todays new car standards.

But in the world of EU laws we are forced to reduce risk at our cost !

The trouble is, is the fact you have them in some way linked to insurance. After all, if it prevents you from a fatality then the insurance payment is maybe with ref to that. If after 10 yrs they are deemed un trusted and you are given the opportunity to still use them then, then its possible that the insurance company's would pull together and refuse insurance or make it astronomical but probably have no effect on classic cars that don't have any anyway. They use anything to rip you off with

David

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links