Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Wear

Rattus

Hello all.

I have an issue with uneven tyre wear on the rears tyres.

I'm running Dunlop FastResponse 195/60R15 which are standard size.

However, the rears are wearing on the outside shoulders more than the centre or inner shoulders.

I've checked out a colleagues 1.6 and he has similar wear, though not as pronounced.

Is this normal?

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Under-inflation?

Cheers for the reply Frosty.

I keep my eye on the tyre pressures regularly and they rarely get down to say 28PSI. I run them at 32.

I thought about pressures before, but that would wear both shoulders of the tyre, not just the outsides.

I also considered the brakes (all fine), rear tracking (but then it wouldn't be both outside shoulders wearing as it is a common axle).

I'm a little stumped.

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Hi,

Just checked my rears which are Toyo, between the three main grooves they are virtually even, measuring outside that area on middle of the shoulder areas perhaps 0.25 to .33 of a mm lower on the outside, but thats with about 40k miles on them.

What kind of wear difference and mileage are you talking about.

Seems over inflating can cause outside wear; also rear wheel alignment could be out, not just 'tracking' as detailed here

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061014062805AAxZ64x

http://www.anewtoronto.com/wheel%20alignment.html

Depending on the mileage you do and the rate of wear its often a trade off v the cost of having a full alignment.

Also not 100% convinced a pressure value given 10 years ago is exact with a tyre made today.

Often had a lot of central tyre wear on my the rears of my old Avensis though the pressures were checked regularly.

The tyre shops said there were over inflatedbut surprised when they measured the pressure for themselves.

Thanks for the reply OC.

The rear tyres have covered approx. 25000-3000 miles. The outer groove of the tread is approx. 2-2.5mm deep. The innermost groove (nearest the hub) is approx. 4-4.5mm deep.

Alignment is something that I doubt as it has a common axle rear. If the alignment was out one way or the other, then one tyre would wear on the outside, the other on the inside (I think ~ unless the axle is bent).

Tyre pressures I have always set to 32psi. It seems to give the best ride and good grip. I have checked tyre manufacturers web sites for correct pressures and 32 seems to be spot on.

Cheers for your input OC.

Part of the reason I run my Yaris at higher PSI is because I was getting high wear on the tyre shoulders at the stock recommended 32psi.

I'd say try 35psi and see if it helps.

How are the fronts? If it's only a problem on the rears, that is bit odd... :unsure:

Hi Cyker.

The uneven wear is only on the rear tyres. It's got me baffled.

The only thing I can think of is wear from roundabouts and cornering, but I drive like an old phart.

I suppose that soon I'll have to replace the rears and I'll get advice from the tyre fitters regarding the wear.

Cheers

Hi,

Found this page on Corolla 2004 rear tyre wear.

Seems like it can only be down to worn or damaged parts rather than being able to adjust anything.

If all is ok it might be tyre pressure or balance or just a problem with that make/batch of tyres.

No mention if you are regularly carring a heavy loads / in the rear

post-95973-0-38170300-1400833590_thumb.j

Hi OC.

I did think it may be the tyres themselves. The rear tyres were fitted over 2 years ago and the previous tyres were the same make / model. They older ones were evenly worn, but it could be down to the previous owner rotating the wheels to maximise mileage.

I don't tend to carry much in the car, but do keep the fuel tank topped up every week.

Cheers for your help.