Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Not Working ..engine Light Comes On Shortly After

mazzy

hi i have 2003 rav4 d4d today my speedo quit working stays at zero .the rev meter still works .shortly after the engine warning light comes on anyone know the solution thanks

The reason for the engine light coming on needs to be checked by reading the fault codes. Your car should have an OBD socket on the dashboard - check if this is the case and if so, the codes can be read using a cheap OBD reader. I wouldn't do anything about the speedo until the fault codes are read but it would narrow down the diagnostics if you could determine whether the odometer and the average speed display still work.

• 3 months later...

hi my rav as just done the same ..but the light as gone off now when i restarted it ..not checked speedo can you tell me what was wrong .mines a 02 done think its got a plug in for dio thanks jeff...............

have heard of this before,check the wiring that runs behind the cover near the drivers footwell.

on the pillar that is near to the hinge side of the door at floor level.

it may have water getting in causing the problem.

hi thanks it mite be a wire off as i think i made the car ***** putting on my seat belt on cant look now as it raining again....

(do thses speedos run by wires now and not cabels?) thanks jeff

hi thanks for all the info ....its all working okay this morning phew.......back to just wash and polishing it .which i enjoy thanks to all jeff

glad to hear it,nice one.

wash.....whats that? lol

2014-02-03145748_zps1029217b.jpg

• Like 1

nnnnnoooooooooooooooo i could,nt go out with mine looking like that poor thing....

• 3 years later...

A member called shutty said water in the white box behind the drivers side kick pannel

Remove the plug and wd40 it and  problem solved 

AAA+ THANK YOU SHUTTY! %100 WORKED!!!

AGAIN THANK YOU SHUTTY,!!!

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Grace k said:

Is the car safe to drive like this?

It’s not legal to drive in the UK without a speedo where one was originally fitted, NI may have a slightly different policy. I suppose using GPS may be seen as a substitute if you’re asking from the point of taking it to a garage, but the issue is very simple to investigate and the fix is pretty non technical.