Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With Engine Managment Light !

Hairy Welshman

Hi,first time for me please be gentle. I have a problem my engine management light will not stay off, i have replaced catalic converter (second hand ) a new sensor,and had it on garage computer which says everything is good, 3 different garages have had a go to reset and all is fine around town but as soon as i get a bit of speed up on it comes again.The car drives great but as i live in S$%&^(*)Ihorpe and travel to Barrow in Furness to work (weekends ) its a bit of a worry.I asked Toyota for a quote on new system and was quoted £900.Any advice appreciated. Thanks. :unsure:

When it comes on then get it checked. So for example when its on the motorway and the lights come on then go get it checked while its on? Or buy a OB2 car code reader for £15.00 and you can do it your self and save money.

Without knowing what the fault codes are, it's rather difficult for us to give any helpful advice. Do you know the codes?

Hi,buklau please read the problem post again. i have had it checked when light is on ! Edwardio sorry but dont know what the codes are or where to find them. The mechanic said today that its either the catalytic converter,(replaced second hand) sensors (one replaced) or the onboard computer. He reset it again ok driving around town soon as i get a bit of speed up on it comes again ! Its driving me bonkers. Any advice wecome. The car is a 2002 vvti and goes great i've had her for 4yrs,

Right well firstly, I recommend that you do buy yourself at some point a code reader, as they are handy to have. They vary from £20 upwards.

It's really tricky to say without the codes.

If you've changed the CAT & one of the sensors (best replace the other one at some point, as they do de-grand over time), then its probably something else.

When was it last serviced?

Best thing to do is get the code cleared again, but ask for the code. What I would do first though, is give the air filter a clean (or replace if really dirty), plus clean (be very gentle) your MAF sensor and cleaning the spark plugs won't hurt. Then reset the ECU (disconnect the Battery for about 10 mins - you can just remove one of the fuses instead of disconnecting the Battery, but for the life of me I can't remember which one at the moment). That might help to clear the code & will put the car back into learn mode. Just then drive it normally for a couple of days.

Hopefully that may turn the light of or keep it off. If it doesn't, then get the code clear & post the code up then we can take another look.

Also as you have a pre-facelift 140, keep a close eye on your oil usage.