Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace T27 Rear Discs

Unpackedrope

Hi all.

I have an Avensis 59 plate (2009) T27 saloon which has an electronic handbrake. The discs and pads need changing all round and rather than pay a fortune to a garage I'd intended to do it myself. I've a lot of experience of car maintenance including brakes so I'd expected it to be straight forward.

The fronts were easy however the rear seems to be designed to go back to Toyota. Is it true that it needs to be connected to a computer to release the rear caliper? Or is it possible, perhaps by the manually winding it back 100's of turns method in the user manual to release the calipers without the need to visit Mr T?

Thanks in anticipation.

The rear calipers do need to be wound back when new pads are fitted, also the rear parking brake ECU does need to have its "Zero point" recalibrated to accept the new pads ( A Toyota Job via their diagnostic equipment ) otherwise damage can occur to the electronic parking brake actuator, pads, discs and the drive away auto release may not operate.

As feared... thanks for that.

Thanks. Spotted that - seems to have been reawakened after my OP (I did search!).

I know 'a boy' that has a machine and may or may not be able to plug in and reset. Will see tomorrow morning.

If it has to go to Toyota then so be it but I already have the discs and pads so don't want to fork out for them again and pay their rather high labour cost.

Let me know how you get on - I'll have to do this in six months on my 2009 T27 too.

my partners 2010 avensis tourer was in for service and mot at toyota yesterday and they rang to say both sats of pads and the front discs were toast and if we wanted they could do them for £235 plus labour.i got the pads and discs from car spares for £120 and after reading the forum have also decided to purchase a autel ebs301 electronic brake service tool from eBay for £165.the tool fits into the obd2 socket and tells the cars brain to unwind the pistons and reset them when finished.it also happens to be a fault code reader as well so it could be a very good investment.will let forum know how i get on when it arrives.

Wow. I didn't even think to check eBay.

If I have no luck tomorrow I'd welcome your feedback on this tool.

Thanks all.

Me too - looking forward to hearing how you get on.

the tool on eBay can be found cheaper than £165 but involves getting it from either america or china/hong kong,also delivery is a lot longer.there are also sellers on eBay that are asking over £200 for the same tool.

Pleased to report success.

Hooked up to a Bosch KTS 340 (brand new with latest updates). No cigar. Can recognise the car and step through all the diagnostics and provide detailed maintenance instructions however no option to wind back pistons.

Gave up on that and went back to the manual method. Removed wheels, undid caliper, removed pads and used a windback tool to push the piston back (offside clockwise, nearside anti clockwise), replaced disc and pads, wheels on, pumping pedal after each.

Initially while the EPB did operate the drive away auto release did not. I did the activate and hold of 5 seconds to reset as mentioned in the other thread and his seems to have overcome that and reinstated the drive away release. Cigars out.

I can't see any mechanism in the caliper that would need the computer to release. The only things attached to the rears are the brake hoses and the cables operated by the EPB motor (somewhere under the boot). There are no electronics or motors in the calipers.

Will see how it goes for a while but as far as I can tell, it's a success without the need for complex tools. Cost me £100 all in including parts and mates time compared to £240 Mr T wanted.

Thanks again and good luck with your own.

did my partners 2010 avensis today and it was a right pain.although the autel electronic brake service tool released the hand brake it didn't do it far enough to fit the new pads,had to resort to winding pistons back and even that took some effort.judging by the fact that the front discs were rusted on to the hub i can only assume the rear pistons were also sized.i also reset the ecu by pressing the brake button then using the service tool checked for any fault codes and then deactivated and re-activated the hand brake.took me best part of 5 hours to do front discs and pads and rear pads.i expect if nothing was seized it would of been quicker.one point to note when i got pads from carspares the front ones they had listed were too small had to take them back and change them.