Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gone An Bought Another 3 Door 4.2

Uncle Bob

Been a 6 year gap since selling by last Rav4 , have always had a soft spot for the 3 door, so have bought another.

Although sold in many colours ,I've ended up with the same Lagoon Blue model, XT-3 with the grey cloth trim.

Came with the chrome side and rear bars, which brightens it up :)

Have had the vehicle a few months and have done many jobs, service, repair and a bit of restoration, will post a few of the jobs up soon :)

post-392-0-97608100-1401566164_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-77339000-1401641929_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Have enjoyed doing the brake overhaul, new discs and pads all round, plus clips, seals and slider kits.post-392-0-01500400-1401567570_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-16862300-1401567605_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-09432700-1401567676_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-61892200-1401567721_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-46443900-1401567856_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer..

As you can see I've used copper slip on wheels studs, that is my choice but you do so at your own risk !

• Like 1

An area of bodywork needed some attention, it was a question of "needs must" so took a look at it myself, it could be a common problem when a 3 door is given a light bump on the rear 1/4 bumpers, it's pushes on the rear flaired arches and breaks the mounting clips, this in turn makes the rubber trim between arch and bodywork dislodge.

First was to remove the arch, this has two pop rivets to drill out at front lower edge, remove mudflap or screws were mudflap lives,then pops arch off its clips.

post-392-0-64426000-1401611286_thumb.jpg

post-392-0-61741700-1401611297_thumb.jpg

post-392-0-18213200-1401611311_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Also took off rear 1/4 bumper cap to clean it and refit new bolts.

I purchased new clips for the arch, glued in the rubber edge trim, then refitted the arch, first by pushing it hard into place , then two new pop rivets at the front and it's secured at the back by the mudflap screws, now all back in place and is fixed and secured.

post-392-0-92794900-1401611817_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

From the pics - view on greasing wheel lugs with alloy wheels?

Copper slip on wheel studs as been flogged to death on many car forums, " text book boys " says the torque figure changes with the copper slip causing less friction , I've used it for 20 years plus, I'm still here and never lost a wheel or broken a stud :)

• Like 1

Copper slip on wheel studs as been flogged to death on many car forums, " text book boys " says the torque figure changes with the copper slip causing less friction , I've used it for 20 years plus, I'm still here and never lost a wheel or broken a stud :)

+1

Another job that caught me by surprise , was the Battery going flat a few weeks after purchase, yes I know it just one of those things, so after checking the alternator was charging, it was time to look for a replacement Battery.

I've alway buy Bosch when I can, no real reason just like the brand. It was always my plan that if the Battery failed I would upgrade to the diesel models battery, mine being a petrol has a battery almost half the size, this was when my loyalty to Bosch faded !

Very expensive from Bosch but found an equally fair quality unit from Yuasa , this I purchased from a local motor factors and to be honest, it looked too big to fit in the space.

Old and new batteries...

post-392-0-49677400-1401702078_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-46877500-1401702095_thumb.jpg

...and new battery in place, battery clamp and fitting rods need to be changed position to fit..

post-392-0-52768200-1401702164_thumb.jpgpost-392-0-45048700-1401702178_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ok a few pointers for replacing the Battery standard or otherwise, first....off with the windscreen/ Battery plastic small cover, then the push in clips in the larger plastic pop up with the aid of a small screwdriver, they ( should) stay in the plastic panel,as you lift it up.

Now as in the photo above, you can see the Battery and it's clamp, loosen the two 10mm nuts on the long threaded rods, not all the way off just 5-10mm, look down the rod and see the hook at the bottom, then wiggle it out of its slot.

Clamp now removed, two 10 mm bolts to loosen on the battery terminals and remove black first then red ( my preference) and the battery is free, make sure your path is clear and lift battery out and onto the floor.

Now If just fitting the standard battery, it's a reversal of the above.

If doing the same as me, a little more work is needed, the battery clamp threaded rods are moved to the outer holes, then the the guide brackets also on the battery clamp are moved to the holes the rods were in, this now allows the wider battery to be clamped.

The threaded rods now fit to the outer edges of the battery tray ( some patients is required to locate the hooks) ...the battery tray has the outline of the two sizes of battery, so the bigger one fits straight in, now it's a reversal to refit.

During the removal and refitting I had a 6 hr gap and in that time the alarm never went off ( I believe it has a battery back up system ? ), once the battery was reconnect, Red first followed by black, you will need to reset clock and your radio stations

Some details......

My old battery spec..

12V, 48AH, 420A....size 235mm L, 125mm W, 200mm H.

Fitted battery spec...

12V, 70AH, 570A.....size 258mm L, 173mm W, 225mm H.

Note..they also make a battery that's 303mm long, seems to be the space but the wiring cables get pushed tight around the back of the battery .

So the battery I've fitted is a YUASA YBX3031 and comes with a 4 year warrenty.

Original battery........

post-392-0-29700300-1401701897_thumb.jpg

Have replaced the rear shock absorbers, KYB was my choice, they have a good reputation and fair on price.post-392-0-15855400-1401751963_thumb.jpg

The early Rav4.1 VX had a strut brace highlighted in red in the engine bay, I've always liked that so decided to replicate that with my 4.2, fair bit bit of work getting it out....involves, wipers off, plastic windscreen panel, wiper motor and linkage , water channel etc, anyway after a few coats of toyota super red paint, I'm pleased with the effect, not to everyone's taste...but I'm easy pleased :)

post-392-0-63789000-1401880524_thumb.jpg

Also had a tinker with cam cover polishing, rather hard work by hand , does look a little brighter but now needs to be kept up, or is just dulls over.

post-392-0-26657600-1401880727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some very interesting and well illustrated work on your RAV Bob. Thank you for posting the information for the benefit of all TOC members

How long have you owned it?

You must spend quite a lot of your time working on it to bring it up to your (high) standards and even more time photographing and posting up the details for us to see.....

I look forward to seeing future progress as you complete more work :).....that is if you still feel that you wish to share your experiences with members of TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB :)

Some very interesting and well illustrated work on your RAV Bob. Thank you for posting the information for the benefit of all TOC members

How long have you owned it?

You must spend quite a lot of your time working on it to bring it up to your (high) standards and even more time photographing and posting up the details for us to see.....

I look forward to seeing future progress as you complete more work :).....that is if you still feel that you wish to share your experiences with members of TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB :)

Hello Red, thank you for the positive comments, my last car was a Lexus Is 300 and belong to the LEXUS OWNERS CLUB.

Now I'm back in the fold of Toyota's and the RAV4, I'm happy to spend time on the TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB, the new RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB,and the not so new RAV4WORLD :)

We are all free to join all the clubs, as there is space for all of us in internet land .

I hope to continue to post progress of my Rav4 without restriction over the coming months :).

Good going so far Bob :)......I can see that you would want to belong to many different forums ......I would have no interest in joining any of the other RAV forums as I do not own a RAV and get all the information and answers that I need from TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB

TOC does not actively promote other forums so please avoid the temptation to link to other forums or the links/ posts may be removed by the Moderaters

Are you going to make a parcel shelf to give you a bit more privacy in the luggage area?......That would be a useful addition.

Quite a few Yaris owners on TOC made themselves improved and slightly stronger parcel shelves to allow for mounting of extra or replacement Speakers

Good going so far Bob :)......I can see that you would want to belong to many different forums ......I would have no interest in joining any of the other RAV forums as I do not own a RAV and get all the information and answers that I need from TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB

TOC does not actively promote other forums so please avoid the temptation to link to other forums or the links/ posts may be removed by the Moderaters

Are you going to make a parcel shelf to give you a bit more privacy in the luggage area?......That would be a useful addition.

Quite a few Yaris owners on TOC made themselves improved and slightly stronger parcel shelves to allow for mounting of extra or replacement speakers

Hi Red as you've clearly seen, yes I've made up a parcel shelf, I was looking to buy one of eBay but lost out on that, then I looked up on Toyota's technical site how the shelf is fitted, and though , I could make my own :)

The secret to making your own parcel shelf is to have a good template, I spent some time cutting and re-cutting a carboard one , untill I was happy it was a good fit all round.

This I then transferred onto the timber, cut round it with a jigsaw and test fitted in position 3 or 4 time, just to check and trim any areas not 100 %.

This was the basic timber cut to shape....

post-392-0-34413800-1402097460_thumb.jpg

Then it was covered in 2oz wadding, followed by Jersey material in fleck grey, luck on the colour, it was the only choice in the shop !

With much stretching and stapling the shelf was covered, then out to the Rav4 to test fit it...

post-392-0-42092500-1402097639_thumb.jpg

I was so pleased with the fit, I've left it in place.... job done. The genuine Toyota shelf as some Velcro strips to hold it in but I found that was not needed, as the seats kept it tight in place.

I now have a degree of security with the shelf fitted, strange why Toyota never included one from new .

• Like 1

This is the toyota genuine item, I feel mine is a little stronger :)

.post-392-0-07279400-1402098083_thumb.jpg

Hi Red as you've clearly seen, yes I've made up a parcel shelf, I was looking to buy one of EBay but lost out on that, then I looked up on Toyota's technical site how the shelf is fitted, and though , I could make my own :)

I must be psychic Bob.........I only made the suggestion as I know that Toyota do not supply these as standard and that quite a few members have made their own beefed up shelves to replace lost and damaged shelves and avoid paying Toyota prices........I had no idea that you had already done your own build.

What else have you done to your RAV that you are not yet telling us?