Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xtr Auto

iiyama

Im a little concerened about a whine from the gearbox, (I think). Only there in first, changes seem reasonably smooth. Its not at all loud but it is there. Should it be? Or should I get the local dealer to check it out, (we didnt buy the car from there).

All info appreciated.

Im a little concerened about a whine from the gearbox, (I think). Only there in first, changes seem reasonably smooth. Its not at all loud but it is there. Should it be? Or should I get the local dealer to check it out, (we didnt buy the car from there).

All info appreciated.

Hi , is that just in first gear or in reverse as well ?, if its both it could be a problem after the gearbox, ie transfer box or front differential.

...and sorry to ask the obvious, have you checked the auto gearbox level ?

If gearbox level is fine, a trip to the dealer or an independent garage for an second opinion :)

Havent thought to listen in reverse, will give it a go! Havent checked the level either. Car had a major service done just under 8k miles ago @ 60k, (03/13), at a main dealer. Would this include checks and or changes to the ATF?

Pointers please as to how to check box levels... :)

Also, if it isnt there when reversing what would this point to?

Just taken it for a little jaunt. Whine is there in reverse as well. Quite a strange sound, almost like something is winding up to speed. It can be heard again as the box changes down to first just before the car stops. Not sure if I am being paranoid but it sounds worse in reverse, (I think).

Just taken it for a little jaunt. Whine is there in reverse as well. Quite a strange sound, almost like something is winding up to speed. It can be heard again as the box changes down to first just before the car stops. Not sure if I am being paranoid but it sounds worse in reverse, (I think).

If it's in first and reverse it could be a problem further down the transmission, ie transfer box or even maybe propshaft centre bearing, although all theses suggestions are just possible problems, best pop into your dealer and let them have a road test,maybe go with them to highlight when the noise happens.

Car was taken into main dealer at Hedge End today and they said there is nothing wrong. I am not convinced! However having had a quick look round the forum I should maybe clarify that the car is a petrol auto. This appears to make it a CVT box rather then a tourque convertor box we had in the 4.2. Is this correct?

Only other thing I can think of is that the front tyres have been changed out to a pair of ditchfinder specials by the dealer we bought the car from and the rears are not matched to the front, (or each other!), and have a differing amount of wear. Apparently they were changed to the rear from the front.

Been looking around for a full set of tyres, holy cr@p batman, they aint cheap are they?!!

Yes, it is a CVT unlike the 4.2, which was a TC auto.

Tyres can have a significant impact on the car's behaviour particularly if you are running unmatched rubber. Did the strange noises begin when the fronts were changed?

Edit: Hang on, if your car is a 2004 model, that makes it a 4.2. & in that case it will be a TC box not a CVT. Is your profile up to date??

Yes, it is a CVT unlike the 4.2, which was a TC auto.

Tyres can have a significant impact on the car's behaviour particularly if you are running unmatched rubber. Did the strange noises begin when the fronts were changed?

Edit: Hang on, if your car is a 2004 model, that makes it a 4.2. & in that case it will be a TC box not a CVT. Is your profile up to date??

Yes I also lost the plot with a 2004 Rav4 CVT :(

Profile not updated. Sorry forgot!

Car is a 2007 XTR 2.0 VVTi auto. Have no idea if the noise was there before as the dealer changed the rubber before we drove the car.

Profile not updated. Sorry forgot!

Car is a 2007 XTR 2.0 VVTi auto. Have no idea if the noise was there before as the dealer changed the rubber before we drove the car.

As I said before, tyres can cause all sorts of weird noises (& vibrations) so, if you can fit a set of 4 of the same make or beg or borrow another set of tyres you will be able to see if that has any effect on the noise.

Fully understand your point about tyres and to this end have just ordered a full set of Goodyear Vector 4 seasons. Will report back with the verdict when they are fitted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links