Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wouldn't Swap My Yaris

HowardL

Just had a courtesy car from inchcape...an Aygo, not too impressed, don't think I'd buy one,

my trusty 10 yr old Yaris is still good!

• Like 1

The original Yaris and Aygo were quite close in size - the wheelbase of the Yaris being just 1 inch longer. Production of the first generation Yaris continued in China right up to 2012.

• Like 1

well I love my Aygo but as said above, each to their own. I was quite glad to see the back of my Yaris.

No and I drive 30 miles a day

Well just looked in what car....'ride is hard and noisy over sharp surface changes', it seems to backup my thoughts.

I just don't like the ride, but, that may just be me.,

Copied from the Honest John review of the Aygo:

"Get going and the variable assistance electric power steering is very light, yet still transmits reasonable 'feel'. The gearshift seems a bit sloppy at first, but I never mis-shifted so it's precise enough. Handling is cheeky and cheerful, like a Panda's. No nasty surprises there, with more grip as you press on rather than less. Ride quality is very good on the standard 155/65 R14 tyres."

Down to the opinions of motor journalists.

Are you comparing the Mk1 and an Aygo? The Mk1 is a better car, but it did cost what, 4-5k more??

I will agree the ride in a Mk1 is softer than the Aygo; Aygo's ride is similar to the Mk3 Yaris.

I think they deliberately stiffened the front suspension as, like the Mk3, the Aygo is much flatter round corners than the wallowing whale that is the Yaris Mk1 (At least my diesel one :lol:) but, also like the Mk3, it has affected the impact absorption, esp. with e.g. speed hums and such. Seats were firmer too which probably contributes to the slightly harder ride.

The upside is, like the Mk3, the Aygo has nicer handling; A bit more positive feel into corners, and helped by the fact that the steering doesn't have the same over-assisted feel that my Mk1 Yaris has :) Made it quite nice to chuck round corners :naughty:

The only things I didn't really like about the Aygo were the lack of torque, the horrendous glare from the dash and the awful clutch. (Not sure why the clutch was so bad; I thought it was just worn out but I'm told it's normal for the Aygo clutch to feel so high and vague! By comparison, the clutch in my Yaris has shorter travel, bites dead centre and has a much more positive feel.)

The difference in torque and esp. the clutch made going from my 1.4D4D to the courtesy-car 1.0VVTi very painful... I stalled that poor thing so many times :lol:

If they put a matt-black coating on the dash, stuck in a 1.4 D4D and fixed the clutch it would make the car an order of magnitude better! :D Or HSDify it which would fix the torque and clutch problem in one go! :)

Everything else is cost saving (1 boot strut, no door cards etc.) so you'd have to expect that for that kind of price.

That said, with the current trend of fattening cars, maybe the next Aygo will actually be a Yaris Mk1! :lol:

No and I drive 30 miles a day

Well just looked in what car....'ride is hard and noisy over sharp surface changes', it seems to backup my thoughts.

I just don't like the ride, but, that may just be me.,

Any car over rough road surfaces will affect the ride. A lot of the bad reviews (and I've read a lot!) have been uncalled for really. Yes the engine is small but the car is so lightweight the performance in my view is not far off a Yaris. People have said its not for motorways, but it holds its own and I am always able to overtake with confidence and never hold anyone up in the fast lane. The auto MMT transmission is also much improved.

Was browsing through a what car whilst waiting in the dentist and was very surprised that the latest Yaris had a very negative review, 2 * out of 5.

I can't fault my mk 1, apart from no boot light, not rear intermitent wash wipe, no stalk control for radio and no courtesy light dimmer it's a CDX "why not have these things Toyota?" , other makes from that age had these things, some not top of the range, eg my rover 214si, peugeot 206lx anyway I've had it 7 yrs, so it can't bother me too much can it?

Best car I've owned, closely followed by 214 and 213 Rover

I had VWs for years,the 2003 Yaris I bought 6 year back has been a gem..

Would not hesitate getting another one.

Davey