Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt Gear Mechanism Playing Up!

rajivrattna

After two years of smooth running the MMT gear mechanism is now showing its nasty side. It suddenly slips in to neutral (in the middle of a heavy traffic, on high ways and on round abouts!!!) and starts to flash the dreaded red MMT symbol and the car crawls to a stop. My wife had a long line of city bus and many cars behind her when it happened on an exit from the motor way, blocking all that traffic. The bus passengers helped to push the car out of the exit to clear space. In the past 5 weeks we have had a MMT alarm at least 10-12 times! It is getting dangerous! After shutting off the car, you can restart it after about 1-2 minutes and it will behave well for another day or so. So the fault is intermittent. The Battery and the charge is fine.

The car has been at the Toyota garage and they have "reinitiated" (Swedish for re programmed) the actuator for the MMT. But it does not help. I have re booked with the garage next week. Since we have the Toyota quality gaurantee (it covers engine and gear box fault) I am not too worried, except for the traffic hazard. I hope they change the actuator since the fault is intermittent, it can not be the gears or the clutch. Unless ofcourse the wear on the clutch is causing the actuator to malfunction, not something that we notice on driving the car. Will keep posted in the interest of all MMT users.

is it a 2008 model? So the car will be 6 years old? Cars aren't generally made to last beyond 7-8 years old and I suspect the MMT transmission may be on its way out. Even my brand new Aygo MMT bleeps sometimes when I go from E to R etc and I have no idea why that happens.

is it a 2008 model? So the car will be 6 years old? Cars aren't generally made to last beyond 7-8 years old and I suspect the MMT transmission may be on its way out. Even my brand new Aygo MMT bleeps sometimes when I go from E to R etc and I have no idea why that happens.

I do not believe in the statement that "the Cars aren't generally made to last beyond 7-8 years old". My old Corolla lasted 15 years before I sold it in fully running condition. Japanese cars are reliable and their mechanics last. Unfortunately, the rust gets to them before the engine or the drive train give up. Besides our Aygo has done only 40000Km, too little for the MMT to pack up. MMT is a weak link in the Aygo automatic, a poor decision by Toyota.

Yeah, the car can easily last more than 6 years; That would be a stupidly short lifespan for a modern car!

This is a fairly typical story for the MMT; They're okay when brand spanking new but tend to become a PITA as they age. I have test driven a few in second hand Aygos and Yarisusesis and have been put off them for life. Easily the worst semi-auto I've ever used :(

Sometimes you can get them to work again for a bit by resetting the MMT computer (Or unplugging the Battery for a few minutes!), but that tends to be a temporary solution. There was a firmware update for the Auris MMTs which supposedly made them a lot better, but I don't know if that ever filtered down to other cars.

I'm hoping it's just that the clutch plate needs changing, but a lot of people have had similar issues and never gotten it sorted once it develops :(

• 1 month later...

Here is a follow up on that MMT problem story. The garage tried reprogramming the actuator withoout success. This time the garage changed the actuator. They say that they have driven quite a lot with the car recently (while we have been on a month long holiday) and there was no problem after the actuator replacement. I hope they are right because we are going to pick up the car today.

Picked up and drove the car on a round trip of 400 km and the MMT worked flawless. The gear changes seem to have less of a lag now and are only slightly noticable when changing from 1 to 2, all other higher gear changes are very smooth. Yes they have definitely changed the actuator and it works!

Geriatric, I am not sure I understand your statement. I never mentioned anything about beeping on reverse. Am I missing some thing?

Sorry I was trying to reply to Wiz201 further up in the postings. She seemed to believe it was a fault.

It should bleep every time you put it into reverse. It is a safety feature.

No it actually bleeps like an alarm and flashes N