Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Or Chain

nodrog6706

Can anyone tell me if my 2001 1.4 vvti corolla has timing belt or chain. When they should be replaced thanks

Believe it is chain driven

all VVTI are chain driven. keep oil changes regular to prolong the chains life.

• 3 years later...

Just do it every year or every 2500k miles along with the oil filter.

4ZZ-FE requires 3.7 litres of oil, 5W-30 grade preferred.

2500 wow that's often I was expecting either 8 or 10k

why is it so often ?

Not sure what Toyota recommends, but my Haynes manual says "every 5,000 miles or 6 months - whichever comes first"

I hardly cover 5k/year in my Corolla, and change the oil every 1-2 years.

In recent times, car manufacturers have gone for longer periods between services, as it keeps servicing/running costs down.  However, if you want to look after your engine, then some people recommend changing the oil more frequently.  A lot depends on car's usage.  In your case, being in Shetland, you probably do lots of shorter journeys, so engine never runs hot for long periods to get rid of moisure and other pollutants?

6 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

Not sure what Toyota recommends, but my Haynes manual says "every 5,000 miles or 6 months - whichever comes first"

In recent times, car manufacturers have gone for longer periods between services, as it keeps servicing/running costs down.  However, if you want to look after your engine, then some people recommend changing the oil more frequently.  A lot depends on car's usage.  In your case, being in Shetland, you probably do lots of shorter journeys, so engine never runs hot for long periods to get rid of moisure and other pollutants?

Just checked the manual , its says 10k or 1 year , but I guess as you say with shorter journeys it would do no harm to make it every 5k , anyway the car is getting sold today so it will be up to the new owner to decide when he changes it, I just wanted to find out to give him a heads up and let him no the next change.

My drive will now be a 2008 Yaris 1.4 d4d

10K or 1 year is fine as long as your using good fully synthetic oil.

I use Castrol Edge and Toyota Denso Oil Filter on my Compressor.

On 20/01/2018 at 12:32 PM, Notoyboy said:

I don't know where Haynes pull their figures from. 5,000 miles seems very over cautious.

Quality of oil and filters is key to maintaining engine health. Unless you're driving your car in harsh environments the figure in your book will be the only figure you need to worry about.

Toyota do a service kit where they give you their spec oil, filters etc for a good price. It also counts as a stamp in your service book as it's using official parts!