Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Vvti Semi Auto Opinions

markquinton

Hi All

I currently have a budget of around 2.5k and am looking to get rid of my Mondeo ST220 and buy something relatively cheap to run, spacious and comfortable. I have seen what looks to be a nice example of an Avensis 1.8 vvti in semi auto guise. I know this is the smallest engine in the range but I would like some advice as to whether people feel it's really underpowered, and also is the semi auto box a good one??

I only drive 4 miles to work mainly in traffic so it's difficult to use the performance I currently have in my ST.

I would only consider the post 05 models where the oil burning issue has been solved.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Mark

If your ST is still in good condition and reliable you are probably better off keeping it with such a low mileage rather than taking a risk on a cheap car you know nothing about. Work out how much fuel you can buy for the amount of money you will be parting with before deciding to change.

I appreciate what you are saying but I'm not finding the ST particularly reliable. Having come from a jap car background where nothing seems to go wrong the ford has been a bit of a shock lol.

I've had two 1.8 vvti T25's - an auto and a manual. The auto felt reasonably nippy at slow speeds around town etc but lacked any punch out of town. It returned mid 30's to the gallon, driving nicely. It drove like a regular torque converter auto with 4 gears and had a lock-up about 52mph, giving the impression of a 5th gear. This meant that at, say, 55mph it was either in lock-up (5th) and therefore pretty gutless, or you had to kick it into 3rd, where it revved it's head off. You couldn't kick it into 4th from lock-up 5th, if you get my drift.

The manual felt faster and gave far better fuel economy, over 50mpg if driven nicely.

Both were good to drive and didn't break down. If you like auto's and aren't doing too much out of town driving the auto would be fine.

Hi Mark,

I have one,05 reg,done about 80,000 miles in it.Its had minimal servicing,never put a foot wrong!

I think Alan covers much of it above.The engine gearbox combo works very well,very smooth,although if pushed it naturally has not got great acceleration.

It does 36mpg no matter how you drive it.Only slight criticism I would have is the road noise is highish on rough tarmac.

As a roomy,comfortable,cheap to maintain auto,very highly recommended.

Cheers....Phil

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Well i tried a 1.8 manual today in good condition and 90k. I drove well but i struggled with the clutch bite being so High and kept over reving it. But most importantly i found my size 13 shoes were hitting an obstruction above the clutch peddle meaning it was hard to fully depress it. Ive found this on a couple of cars now. So i guess that means i need to find an auto

Well i tried a 1.8 manual today in good condition and 90k. I drove well but i struggled with the clutch bite being so High and kept over reving it. But most importantly i found my size 13 shoes were hitting an obstruction above the clutch peddle meaning it was hard to fully depress it. Ive found this on a couple of cars now. So i guess that means i need to find an auto

i struggled with the clutch bite being so High and kept over reving it. But most importantly i found my size 13 shoes were hitting an obstruction above the clutch peddle meaning it was hard to fully depress it.

The clutch bite wasn't high on mine, maybe a sign that the one you test drove is on the way out? The over-revving thing is common if you've driven diesels for a while.

Was there a thick floor mat fitted? I could wear size 11 work boots without hitting anything.

Hi

Before I bought my auto I tried a couple of manuals,didn't like the clutch action at all,both stiff and creaky.Perhaps I was unlucky.As I said before the auto gearbox is very smooth making for a very relaxed drive.

Phil.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links