Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'08 Sr180 Windscreen Replacement And Rain Sensor

NickSw

Hello folks,

driving down the A303 earlier this week. A largish stone hit the windscreen and put a hole in it. The stone was big enough to see it coming, and I ducked. Very loud bang. Only the second time this has happened to me in 50 years motoring.

Screen is definitely not repairable and MOT due later this month.

Contacted local Toyota dealer and glass fitting companies locally to get prices.

Prices varied from (exc. vat) £475 to £165.

Chosen supplier, not the cheapest, asked if this had a rain sensor. It does indeed have automatic wipers and a sensor behind a clear oblong area within the hashed area at the to of of the screen.

A couple of questions:

1) How do rain sensors work if they are on the inside of the screen?

2) Any views or opinions on the cost of screen replacement?

Many thanks,

Nick.

You should be covered for windscreen damage on your insurance, you can check.

Shouldn't cost more than £250, but less if you're only paying say £50-£75 excess to your insurance company.

I can recommend National W/screens & Auto W/screens, but not Autoglass if you're paying it all yourself.

Rain sensors are clever enough to identify a spot or blob of water through the aperture in the screen - fairly simple tech these days.

Your motor insurer will often restrict you to using a particular windscreen replacement company as they have an agreement with them.

You are at liberty to choose your own supplier but may find that the insurers will put a top limit on what they will pay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links