Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shock Absorbers

NorbyG

I recently took my Celica to a garage to have brake fluid changed. I was asked do I want to wait or come back. I asked how long would it take; and was told about 45 mins; so I went for a walk and returned in 30 mins and noticed the car was parked on the road. I thought that they hadn’t started the job yet, but it was finished. I paid the mechanic (owner); then he told me that I needed couple of front shock Absorbers as they were leaking. I said no way they were leaking, as I would have noticed when I was replacing the front brake pads (the day before) as both rubber gaiters are split! I then pushed down on each side of front of car and it only bounced once; but when he done it, it bounced 3 times. I said; it was going for the MOT in couple of days and I’d see if they fail it. He said; he would fail it if he tested it. So, it got me thinking... Did mechanic changed brake fluid??? Is it usual for both shocks to leak at same time??? Or, could he have sabotaged both of them to con me/make money, by me giving him the job???

I took car for MOT and it passed; but was told, he couldn’t fail it as he didn’t know how long they’ve been leaking; but advise me to replace them soon. My suspicions were still there...so I went back to MOT station a few days later and asked a tester; how do they test for shock Absorbers wear in the MOT. He pushed down on front sides of car and car only bounced once; then he told me they were ok. I then told him about my suspicions... I asked; does the warning on MOT certificate still apply? He said: I should clean and keep an eye on them for 3 months and if no further sign of leakage, then they would take the warning off the Mot certificate.

Norby, thank you for making me smile with your spelling of "shock absorbers" :D

• Like 1

You seriously think somebody could be bothered to go to the trouble of wrecking the shock observer seals ;) in 30 minutes in the hope you might have the job done with him? He did'nt hold on to your car and force you to have it done but let you wander off to have it done anywhere? Whatever next!

Sad times..............

Shocks should be swapped in pairs - particularly for the front. If you doubt his integrity you 'should' be able to see some evidence of the bleed beneath each dust cover.

I was never any good at spelling, etc...as I'm dyslexic. :bangin: I always use word spelling & grammar checker, but it seemed it didn't pick up on it. The bleed nipples and around the areas looks clean but no signs of fluid on nipple or in caps.

For your info. Parts-King, it does happen... Check this link out (pay attention to WD40) http://bbs.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/851392-kwik-fit-getting-a-pounding-on-watchdog.html

Oh, he definitely wanted the job, but couldn't hold my car or force me to do anything. I was there; you weren't!

Look I am not saying it cannot be done, think of it this way

You take your car in for a job to be done, they spray WD40 around the shocks, and tell you it is dangerous to drive and you should have new ones fitted WITHOUT leaving the premises. You hand over your money and you have been fleeced, quite improper and illegal, that garage should be prosecuted.

Why on earth would somebody do that and then let you go on your way? There is no financial gain for the garage whatsover :g: Shock absorbers can "mist" without any undue worry, but it is something you should keep your eye on

He didn't say they were dangerous. But said; if he does the MOT he will fail them; where 2 other MOT stations said; light seepage causing a film of fluid on a shock absorber is not a reason for rejection. So, if he wasn’t trying to put one over on me, well I don’t know... He let me go on my way because I weren't naive to let him do the job. And yes; they'll do and try all sorts to rip people off! I sure there are trust worthy garages, but it's a job to find them!

I’m 67 years old; worked as an apprentice motor mechanic (for a year); had and driven cars since I was 20; and been ripped off before by garages. I also read and heard so many complaints from other motorist about being ripped off by garages, so one tends not to trust them. I stay away from garages, as I don’t trust them either. I do nearly all of my repairs and servicing myself (with some help from forums); and the only reason I took car to have brake fluid change, was because I didn’t have time...and proper machine/equipment to clean moister out of system. I now wish I had stayed and watch him (supposedly) changed brake fluid.

There are plenty of places to find a reputable garage, Good garage Scheme, Motor Codes etc

It is one of the hazards of having a completely unregulated industry. Thankfully, the tens of thousands of garage transactions carried out every single day lead to complete customer satisfaction, but there will be a minority of people who will rip you off, just like plumbers, roofers, washing machine repairers or whatever

Good luck