Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T Sport 02 Brake Issues - Helpppppp!

mrsb805

Hi all

I need some advise....

My 02 t sport is being a nightmare.... Every 2-3 months i get issues with the brakes. They get very hot and i can feel the car pulling back whilst on the move (hence fuel consumption goes up). I take it to my garage (i've been going to for years) and they say its a kooky thing with my car, they clean my brakes up and say that it'll be fine. but low and behold a few months down the line there i am again with the same issue. They said that everything is fine and all i need to do is keep take it back to get them cleaned out now and again... mmmmm this just doesn't seem right to me, i've never had this kind of problem with any of my other cars (toyota's included).

I'm not a heavy breaker, i engine break if and when i can...

I am on a very tight budget but this back and forth every few months (and yes they charge me to clean them out) seems like just masking a problem to me..

Anyone else had the same issues or has some advise because i slowly starting to hate my car!

Thanks - sorry if this sounds a little lame but i'm really stuck..

• Like 2

"they say its a kooky thing with my car"

Is that the technical phrase then...."kooky"?

Sounds like you have your brakes binding for some reason. They are treating the symptoms and not the root cause. Problem will be finding the root cause. Suggested areas to look at, and steps to take. But more information required.

1. Are both sides affected? Front only or front and rear or rear only.

2. Does handbrake work correctly?

3. Have you had any work done on brakes that could have started the problem?

4. Does the brake fluid reservoir lose fluid?

5. Any other symptoms? Do brakes pull to one side? Is braking power still good?

6. When was last time discs and pads were changed? Has fluid ever been changed?

Lots of questions but I would be looking at brake master cylinder, brake booster, and possibly caliper problems if more than one wheel is impacted? Is there any thing else that happens before they start acting up?

It could be as simple as warped discs or a stuck caliper piston.

Let us know more and we can see what to suggest.

I have seen this a few times on Corolla's as you say cleaning the calipers only ever offers a temporary solution, unfortunately you have one or more faulty calipers or caliper carriers and the only permanent fix is to have the calipers/carriers reconditioned, fit replacement recon calipers/carriers or new ones.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the VSC and ABS systems....

How Does It Work?

Sensors can detect that the vehicle is skidding sideways, and when this happens, Toyota’s Vehicle Stability Control system can apply braking force independently to any of the four wheels while automatically controlling engine output. Together, these careful adjustments help to prevent lateral skidding.

The VSC system electronically monitors speed and direction, and compares the vehicle's direction of travel with the driver's steering, acceleration
and braking inputs.

VSC can help compensate for loss of traction which can cause skids. It utilizes some components shared with the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and an electronically controlled engine throttle as well as a dedicated computer and sensors providing information to the VSC system. These include a yaw rate sensor, a G-sensor and a steering angle sensor. When VSC is active, a warning beep tone and instrument panel warning light indicate that the system is functioning. In many cases, VSC reacts well before the driver is aware of a loss of traction. As with other safety technologies, such as anti-lock brakes, it is important to drive safely, since Vehicle Stability Control cannot defy the laws of physics, nor can it provide more traction than exists in a given condition.

While VSC has revolutionized vehicle steering and traction control, it does have limits. The system cannot provide more traction than exists between the
vehicle and the road surface, and it cannot prevent lateral skidding if the driver makes extreme steering actions.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I need help too - i need to know where i can buy a passenger side front brake caliper carrier as pins are completely seized in mine.

if anybody can recommend somewhere i’d appreciate it as i am struggling

2 hours ago, Craig Ellis said:

I need help too - i need to know where i can buy a passenger side front brake caliper carrier as pins are completely seized in mine.

if anybody can recommend somewhere i’d appreciate it as i am struggling

Mr T will have them at a price ??   or somewhere like this place which shows some for a 1.8, but you need to enter your cars exact details .

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/brake-caliper-carriers/toyota/toyota-corolla/corolla-2001-to-2007/1-8-vvtl-i-ts-192-1796/products/2437843-4851-16375/trw-brake-caliper-carrier

• Like 1

Yes, it's that time of year when the cold means brakes on the 1.8 TS models start to seize. I have exactly the same problem on my rear passenger brake.

You can test by pulling up the handbrake gradually when driving at 20-30 mph and the will car veer to one side (so take care doing this on a straight road with no traffic!). I could tell my left rear brake was working because it would skid, but the right rear brake was effectively seized on and didn't. The seized brake may make a "clonk" as the brake caliper piston suddenly releases off the disk by the speed of the spinning wheel! But, it's not fixed... This allows the piston to move off the disk enough to allow it to at least drive better, and improve the MPG though.

Fixing it does require the piston to be cleaned, or the caliper to be replaced or rebuilt. Personally, I would try cleaning it first by removing the brake pads and then pushing the brake pedal down just enough to get the piston showing about 3/4 inch - not too far else it will cease completely at the out position. Clean the rust and dust off the piston thoroughly with brake cleaner and a clean cloth. Remove the brake fluid cap to screw the piston back in when done (I think it screws in but can't recall - it may push in??? - anyone know or remember?) Clean the caliper pad runners, put some red grease on them and the ends of the cleaned pad ends, and re-fit the pads and caliper. See if this resolves the problem first.

I intend to clean up my ceased rear passenger piston and caliper at the weekend.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links