Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top Tyres

Phil F

Hi all,

Boring I know,anybody recommend tyres for my T3x auto...will need two front 205/55/16 very soon.Its getting on a bit now so would prefer budget if possible?...Is there really any quieter tyres as I don't think road noise is one of the Avensis strong points?

Thanks....Phil.

What speed rating do you need - V or W?

New tyres now have a label which includes a noise rating. Goodyear NCT5 & Efficient Grip come in @66db which is the quietest listed in that size.

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 205/55 R16 91W are 68db.

They are available from~ £58+carr.+fitting so ~£75 fitted.

Its just my opinion but..... budget tyres are a false economy. They don't last well, increase rolling resistance and fuel consumption and do not perform as well as a quality branded tyre. I have been using Bridgestone (T001s if memory serves), they last well (20k+ miles), improve fuel economy, grip well and only cost about £80 each.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice. As I said, its just my opinion.

In the latest Which? tests the following got reasonable scores and are priced below premium tyres:

W rated -

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 (second placed tyre - score 68%)

Nokian Z G2 (67%)

Firestone TZ300a (66%)

Semperit Speed-Life (60%)

Kumho Ecsta HM KH31 (60%)

V-rated -

Semperit Speed-Life (65%)

Maloya Lugano (59%)

Kumho Ecsta HM KH31 (50%)

Yokohama C Drive 2 (50%)

The Rainsport 2s are rated @ 71db & iirc it's a logarithmic scale so the difference would be noticeable.

& they are only a couple of £s cheaper at best.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies,very helpfull.Heidfirst,the Goodyear efficient grip performance sounds like the one.

Cheers....Phil.

I'm currently running on Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and I can confirm they are a bit noisy, which gets worse when off straight (they get louder on sweeping motorway corners), but I live in the north of England and if we see a big yellow ball in the sky up here we tend to think it's an alien invasion so I'm happy to put up with the noise 'cos they grip like it's dry in the wet. ;-)

• Like 1