Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cleaning Rear Brake Drums - Yaris

Catlover

I have just aquired a 2009 Yaris T-Spirit 1.4 diesel.

I would like to look at the rear brake drums - inspect for wear and clean dust out etc.

It is some years since I worked on drums, so what I would like to know is what procedure do I take to get the drums off. Ok, hand brake off (with vehicle in gear and safely choked up), but do i need to release the brake linings to get the actual drum off, and how do i do this.

Any help appreciated.

Joe

Don't think they do a Haynes for the Mk2 (if they do I'd be interested to know).

Had a look at my brake drums only today, all I did was prise them off with a large screwdriver as they aren't held on with anything (just by the wheel when the nuts are on). Alternatively you can put a bolt in to the two holes on either side and tighten it until the whole drum pops off.

Yes HowardL, Referring back to the manual is a good way, but I was hoping there would be hands on experience available on the forum - thats what the forum is designed for is'nt, sharing experiences.

Thanks for the info Chris, will follow up on that and take a look.

As I said, its a few years since looked at brake shoes, as opposed to pads. All recent cars have had idscs all round, just now as I retired I have down sized to the Yaris.

Love the car by the way. Surprising how nippy a 1350cc diesel engine can be, and frugal on the diesel as well (my right foot is very light).

Hi Joe,

As Chris has said, use a large screwdriver to lever the drum over the shoes. There usually a slight lip on the inner drum face, so use 2 bolts ease off the drum.

The drum brakes will be familiar once you see the components.

Konrad

They usually fall off but have a couple of M8 bolts handy just in case they're stuck on tight.

Thanks for the positive response guys. Helpful.

Whats the min length the M8 bolts would have to be.??

Joe

I say about an inch. They are the ones I have and use. Longer is better, but I have a few from years back.

Once the bolts have been screwed in, the drum will be nearly off.

Was in my local hardware shop yesterday - (you know the type in the local shopping block, like Aladdin's cave in there) and I got 2x M8 2" for 25p each. Will give it a go soon.

So thanks for all the help guys.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links