Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Rav 4 Rear Electric Window Fault

RAV4-2004

Hi,

I'm new on here but have had a 2004 RAV4 5 door auto for nearly 10 years with no serious issues.

I got back yesterday after a week away to find an annoying fault on the electric window on the rear driver's side (RHD) door.

As soon as I turned the ignition on, the window opened fully.

The control on the drivers door would not work for this window but worked fine for the other windows.

The control on the door itself worked fine while door was opened but as soon as the door was shut, the window opened fully - I haven't tried the control with the door shut.

I currently have to drive with the window open and the only way to shut the window when parked is to wind it up using the control on door itself, then turn of the ignition, close door and then shut door and lock using the keyfob.

Although the control on door had worked fine before I drove it, it wouldn't work initially but after I fiddled with it a bit then left it alone for 5 minutes it worked. I'm keen to get this sorted ASAP so I don't get stuck somewhere unable to shut the window at all.

I assume/hope that this is a simple sensor/switch fault but I don't know where to start looking - I'm used to working on older cars but don't have a manual for the RAV and electric windows are new to me.

Is the Haynes manual any use or are there any free/cheap alternatives out there?

Many thanks for any assistance.

JK

is the wiring same for the 2007 and the earlier 4.2's?

Wow, I love the fact that people have taken time to locate and make this sort of information available. Thanks to you all.

is the wiring same for the 2007 and the earlier 4.2's?

This wiring diagram manual has been prepared to provide information on the electrical system of the 2007 RAV4.

Applicable models: GSA33, 38 Series ACA33, 38 Series

specifications and repair procedures for these models:

Manual Name Pub. No.

2007 RAV4 Repair Manual

2007 TOYOTA New Car Features

RM03T0U

NM04J0U

All information in this manual is based on the latest product

information at the time of publication. However, specifications

and procedures are subject to change without notice.

nice one, i was just a bit concerned that the OP has a 2004.

great bit of info that wiring diagram. :clap:

Hi,

don't know about the Rav but a couple of previous cars have had a window reset feature

which has worked for me when they got "confused". May be worth trying?

With ignition on and offending door open:

1. Window down completely, hold button in the down position for 5 seconds more then release button.

2. Window up completely, hold button in the up position for 5 seconds more then release button.

Might be worth trying on the driver's door also if it doesn't work on the rear door itself.

Phil.

Hi,

don't know about the Rav but a couple of previous cars have had a window reset feature

which has worked for me when they got "confused". May be worth trying?

With ignition on and offending door open:

1. Window down completely, hold button in the down position for 5 seconds more then release button.

2. Window up completely, hold button in the up position for 5 seconds more then release button.

Might be worth trying on the driver's door also if it doesn't work on the rear door itself.

Phil.

Thanks for the replies on this. I went out this morning to give the "5 second" reset a go and then if necessary to try to make sense of the wiring diagram and guess what - window working perfectly!

Don't you just love intermittent electrical faults!

I did the "5 second" reset anyway and fingers crossed that is the end of it but have ordered the Haynes manual in case I need to investigate further - I'm more used to playing with 40 year old VWs and 20 year old Land Rover Defenders so I wouldn't even know how to get the trim off without breaking something.

Thanks for help and if it recurs and/or I find out what the problem was I'll let you know.

Cheers,

JK