Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

04 Rav 4 D4D New Turbo ,, Or Not

superstock24

Hi Just thought I'd share this. Had the engine management light come on and down to limp mode. Took it to main local Toyota dealer who diagnosed the problem in writing as step motor and said I needed new turbo at £1200 ish. Phew!! They reset the management light and off I went to think about it. Couple of days went by and oh dear light on again, but I noticed it was only above 3000 revs. Well I left it for a couple of weeks and took it to my local garage for them to look at. Oh! diagnosed as turbo boost problem, code 1251 overboost, I think. Paul said " I thought it was funny you saying step motor as your vehicle doesn't have one, it's a mechanical boost pump , it was stuck , I've just freed it and took it for a test drive and all seems fine!!!!. £20 bargain. Don't always trust your main Toyota Dealer me thinks.....

Please correct me if any of the technical stuff is incorrect but for £20 who cares.............

That is great news,sounds as if the local chap is worth your custom. Lets hope that all is now well.

I am also lucky to have a very good indie who looks after my old motor and in whom I have complete faith.

It means a lot

Del

hi superstock, great you fixed the problem.

can you give us more detail or even a pic pse.

i may have a similar problem had p1251 and p0105 fault codes. trying to rule

everything out before spending hard earned.

Hi Stu, Sorry don't have any pictures, But been out today done well over 100 miles and all seems fine at the moment. Tentatively took the old girl upto 4000 revs, which I don't normally do and was sweet as.... Paul, my local guy said all he did was use a hand vac pump to release the sticking pump/gate , whatever !!, don't know too much more detail unfortunately., but it didn't require any stripdown as far as I know. He did say just drive it for a week or two to see if the problem returns, although he didn't expect it too, but if it did he would strip it and give it a major clean. Fingers crossed we should be OK.

The more I think about it... The engineer at the area local Toyota dealership, which I won't name at the moment, did say I had the option of him fitting a recon unit for £400 but obviously couldn't give me any guarantee...!!!! ( was this just a clean of the unit) Just makes me wonder what we do actually pay for some times........ If I can get any more info I will post it.

It's a common fault code. I've had my car from new 10yrs this year and done almost 140k miles. I've had the fault coming up mainly on towing, usually at around 2500rpm. I just now reset the error using a hand held code reader. Clean the egr valve and spray some wd40 into the vacuum sensor/valve things just above it, can't remember what they are called. also spray around the vacuum valve mechanism linkages. Make sure the vacuum pipes are all sound. I rebuilt my turbo with parts from eBay. much cheaper than a replacement / recon unit. Also make sure the waste gate isn't carboned up. Buy a fault code reader they are dirt cheap so if it happens again and it probably will you can then just clear it and carry on.

can you see/test to see if the wastegate is stuck/sticking? cant even see mine.....not got a clue when it comes to turbos!

sounds a bit like my problem. can someone help with a pic or description of how to find the wastegate pse. egr is clean.

tks in advance.

can you see/test to see if the wastegate is stuck/sticking? cant even see mine.....not got a clue when it comes to turbos!

sounds a bit like my problem. can someone help with a pic or description of how to find the wastegate pse. egr is clean.

tks in advance.

Turbo vacuum unit is at the back of the engine bay to right of engine as you face it. Vac' pipe goes into side I think. Feel under the unit and you will find the linkage mechanism. Dis connect the other end of the vac pipe and feeling the linkage suck the pipe. You should feel the linkage move up and then return when you stop sucking. The actual wastegate isn't very visible.

Thanks, will check it all moves tomorrow.

!Removed! hell things are tight around the turbo!!

does the linkage come from directly under the round vac thingy??

do i need to take any heat shields off to get to it?

right, just been out to the rav again.

after a bit of stretching etc i have found something that moves!!! well sort of

found a link of some sort that moves up and down,but is very stiff and is not easy

to move wihtout leaving a dent in your fingers. not tried the suck test but i cant see how a vacuum can move

something that stiff!! could this be the problem?? will have a closer look this evening after work

when i can get some of the pipes etc out of the way.

the turbo does work, i know that by disconnecting the vac completely and having no boost at all.

is it just the fact that over 2200ish other parts come into play and maybe thats why i get hesitations in acceleration?

determined to get to the bottom of this :thumbsup:

[url=http://s806.photobucket.com/user/noaa16/media/turbo1_zpsfc25d99b.png.html]turbo1_zpsfc25d99b.png[

/URL]

had the heat shield off the top for a look. the arrows point to where i can get movement of

some sort. does that vac unit come off easy? i can see the bolts holding the bracket on

but dont want to mess something up by trying to remove what shouldn't be removed.

can anyone advise on its removal pse.

Give it all a good spray with WD40 and work it a little to see if that eases it. The linkage is adjustable as to position but disturb it at your peril. Note which direction you move it and how far so you can put it back. I know some have done this and been able to resolve the problem. It does sound like stuff has got a little seized. You might need to take the turbo off but that is a really fiddly job and I found easier if I could access the underside of the engine as well.

Have you got a workshop manual?

ok will give it a good soaking overnight a few times.

how much should it move?

have an exploded vied of the turbo from toyota but it does not show the vac unit or connectors!

but no workshop manual,no

Hello.

I to am having the same fault P1251 on my 2005 d4d. I am pretty sure its not the turbo as I have stripped this down and theres absolutely no sign of sticking in the vanes. and the control arm etc are all moving freely. This all started happening after I fitted a unipart air filter last year. I have just ran some wynns turbo cleaner through from the air intake, cleaned the MAF sensor and am putting some comma diesel magic through the tank. I will strip down the turbo vsv circuit and pipes to check next. I find it hard to believe that there are thousands of Toyota Rav4's all with average miles and faulty turbos.

Hello.

I to am having the same fault P1251 on my 2005 d4d. I am pretty sure its not the turbo as I have stripped this down and theres absolutely no sign of sticking in the vanes. and the control arm etc are all moving freely. This all started happening after I fitted a unipart air filter last year. I have just ran some wynns turbo cleaner through from the air intake, cleaned the MAF sensor and am putting some comma diesel magic through the tank. I will strip down the turbo vsv circuit and pipes to check next. I find it hard to believe that there are thousands of Toyota Rav4's all with average miles and faulty turbos.

Just an update.

I took my car out last night after running the wynns turbo cleaner through it and gave it a good uphill run to the redline. There was a large burst of smoke and then it cleared up after a couple of runs up the hill. Today I rechecked the resistance of the MAF sensor and its sitting correct at 2.6K ohms. There was initially allot of corrosion and grim the MAF hot wire and temp sensor that have all cleaned off with a good clean of carb cleaner. Today I took it for another hill run with the air filter removed from the filter box (this allowed me to hear the response from the turbo spooling up and down). Its pulling great from even low revs in 5th right up to full torque above 2000 rpm. As my wife has been the main driver in this car from new its very likely that the P1251 code ever six months could have been down to sooting up from 80,000 round town gentle miles and it really just needed a good hard run.

I will update again soon (leaving the vsv for now).

Hello.

Just an update.

I took my car out last night after running the wynns turbo cleaner through it and gave it a good uphill run to the redline. There was a large burst of smoke and then it cleared up after a couple of runs up the hill. Today I rechecked the resistance of the MAF sensor and its sitting correct at 2.6K ohms. There was initially allot of corrosion and grim the MAF hot wire and temp sensor that have all cleaned off with a good clean of carb cleaner. Today I took it for another hill run with the air filter removed from the filter box (this allowed me to hear the response from the turbo spooling up and down). Its pulling great from even low revs in 5th right up to full torque above 2000 rpm. As my wife has been the main driver in this car from new its very likely that the P1251 code ever six months could have been down to sooting up from 80,000 round town gentle miles and it really just needed a good hard run.

I will update again soon (leaving the vsv for now).

P1251 Toyota D4D Global Service Information Center

P1251 Toyota 2.0 D4D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links