Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla Egr Valve Cleaning

alexsv_17

Hello,

I have read the topic of how to clean a 2003 D4D EGR valve

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/114711-2003-d4d-egr-clean/

which was very useful for me to locate the valve on my engine on the first place.

I have a Toyota Corolla station wagon 2002 D4D 1CD-FTV.

On my car though the EGR valve looks like this:

post-141627-0-52607000-1403115439_thumb.

I have researched and got it that there are two types of EGR valves for the 1CD-FTV motor

The first one(mine):

post-141627-0-75935000-1403115736.jpg

and the other one:

post-141627-0-54657200-1403115786_thumb.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what are the differences and more importantly how to clean the first type.

Thanks,

Alex

If it's the same as my Yaris D4D, the first one with the flying saucer is actually a throttle body. I don't actually know what it's throttling, but on mine it seems to manage the mix of air between the turbo-charger/intercooler and a small open port that leads to the EGR.

The other part is, I think, the actual EGR valve.

On mine, it turned out the EGR valve, although quite sooty, was a bit sticky but otherwise okay; The part that was causing my car trouble was the vent that goes from the EGR into the small port on the Throttle body - The hole is roughly the size of a current 5p and was completely blocked by soot, so much that I didn't even realise there was a hole there the first time!

The easiest way to clean it is a combination of carb cleaner spray and poking the hole with a screwdriver until the big chunk of soot is dislodged. The carb cleaner is like magic and should dissolve all the soot until you're back to shiny metal! (Just do this away from the car as that stuff will eat through the lacquer and paintwork!)
If it's particularly stubborn, you can get a metal bowl and bathe the tricky bits in some carb cleaner until it dislodges, but I didn't have to do that last time I cleaned mine.

Make sure you dry it off before putting it back in or you'll get a lot of detonations in the engine when you first start it up as all the residual carb cleaner is combusted!

It may also be worth spraying some down the channel the goes from the EGR valve to the throttle body, but have a rag or metal bowl ready to catch it or it'll go all over the starter motor and whatever that thing underneath is when it comes out the other side! (The carb cleaner fluid was totally black when it came out on mine!). However, it is much harder to clean out any residual carb cleaner so if you do this, you're pretty much guaranteed to get some scary sounding detonations when you start up the engine (I don't think it will harm the engine, but it doesn't sound good!!)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, Cyker. I will try to deassemble it in the next few days. I am just a bit confused about the tiny hoses. I think that I should unplug the electric plug from the denso unit first ( any ideas whats is it for - the unit), and then there are 3 hoses on the other side coming out of the unit opposite of plug. I will try and post any outcome. Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links