Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Hope Of Smoother Gear Change?

ProfHall

A couple of days ago, as a newcomer, I raised a question for Toyota itself but obviously got no answer, and it was kindof 'rhetorical' I suppose..

So, put another way, this time for RAV4 enthusiasts:

Has anyone had any success or have advice on getting an easier, smoother 1st and 2nd gear change (mine's an '07 2.2d x-tr)? Or, is it that you are not aware of a problem or that the notchy changes don't bother you?

When I raised it at my local main dealer the service manager said "well they are a bit agricultural".. or words to that effect!

I would ensure it has the correct grade of gear oil, a decent oil change can make a massive difference to the "feel" of the gearbox. Many members have posted on this, a search should bring up some results.

You can download the spec sheets from here

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/109888-service-data-sheets/?hl=%2Bservice+%2Bdata+%2Bsheets

Kingo :thumbsup:

I had 2010 xtr for 3 years and gear change from 1st to 2nd was never very smooth

what I found was do not rush the change when coming out of 1st just hang fire for a few milli secs before going for 2nd

I now own new invincible and gear change from 1st to 2nd ok

Thanks, yes I do try the slower approach but sometimes in traffic it's necessary to do a swift change, that's when it's awkward and 'hurts'.

Also I've found you have to be very careful going into 1st in a hurry - reverse is very close and a slight lift can put it there instead. V. dangerous at lights!!

...I just find it all rather cumbersome (like driving a old commercial truck) than the smoothness experienced driving an average road car over the last 40 years.

Thanks, I don't know what's in the box, and obviously there's no way to tell so just have to get it changed and hope for the best. Should be 75-80W, not multi grade I read somewhere? Synthetic or not?

This box needs a straight 75W gear oil - anything else will be detrimental to gear change. Problem is that this grade is very difficult to find, hence owners and garages often use a multigrade. On the face of it, this should be OK but on this box, it will affect gear change. You might have limited choice with respect to synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral but provided it's to GL4 spec, it will be fine.

There's a few places you'll find this oil online, try

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/310844210546?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

However you're unlikely to find it in Halfords or your local car shop / factors.

Many Ford gearboxes are also far better with 75w oil rather than a multigrade - but a bit academic since Ford don't fit drain plugs to gearboxes!

Castrol Syntrans FE 75W full synthetic gear oil GL4 looks a reasonable price from Opie Oils - thanks Bono Estente above.

The Ford gearbox mentioned must be a sealed unit, can't understand that!

Lots of cars including Ravs are filled for life and don't require routine gearbox oil changes - so many manufactures don't fit drain plugs (Toyota do fit plugs). However this goes against the grain for some owners who use a syringe via the fill plug or reverse switch tapping to change the oil.

Ha, well if my RAV was filled for life at the factory is there any point changing the oil assuming Toyota put the right stuff in at the outset ?

Any gear that slides against each other will gradually wear each other down,and that happens when they are engaged and running,

Oil is used to slow this process down but over time abrasive contaminants affect the lubricants "slip ability" and the longer the oil is used the more it deteriorates. So I was taught many,many years ago.

As for filled for life I fear that span in this day and age is reduced in people wanting,more and more often, newer models all the time.

So how long do manufacture's build their machines to last for?

Surely it is worth the price of an oil change as a first step.

​For the life of me I cannot understand when,or why it is, necessary to snatch at the gear lever but that is just me I suppose.

Del

BMW and Mercedes fitted "sealed for life" gearboxes in the late 1990s.. They lasted to around 100k miles and then tended to die due to wear...Prior to then their gearboxes - with oil changes - were good for 200k + miles They now recommend oil changes.

Hint: few owners keep cars long enough for 100k miles to appear so a less than scrupulous maker will not care..

My RAV is '07 but only done 35k so I doubt there's any significant gearbox wear.

"For the life of me I cannot understand when,or why it is, necessary to snatch at the gear lever.."

No "snatching" here, it's simply difficult to engage almost as though the clutch is only half disengaging.

My comment was not intentionally aimed at your driving abilities,David, and I sorry if it led you to believe otherwise.

As you say 35K should not have caused gear wear.

Have you considered clutch "hang up" due to oil on the clutch plate.?

I only suggest this due to the mileage you seem to be doing,is the car used daily on short trips as I am sure you are aware diesels warm up more slowly

Del

I do a lot of shortish trips but don't think the clutch is to blame, only first and second gears are the annoying (and tiring) problem, further up all are smooth as smooth. Pity, it spoils the drive and I usually enjoy driving.

There's been so many complaining about this I would have thought Toyota would have done a recall long ago!

I ran a Peugeot 406 for 10 years(!) prior to the RAV and it was the smoothest ride I've ever had in more than 50 years on the road. I only decided to move on at 100k (it was a totally trouble free 2 litre HDI engine by the way) because I felt I should have a change in old age and I'd always had a high regard for the concept of the RAV4 but only ever driven one of the earliest models for a brief test drive way, way back.

'Fraid this has been a huge disappointment not only because of the irritating gear change but also the jittery, wallowy ride on all but major roads. I've since learnt too late that this a 'feature' of most SUV/4x4s to some extent. The old Pug was like floating on a cloud by comparison. I miss it!