Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloys, Are They Covered By The 5 Year Warranty ?

Seth1

I wonder if this is covered by the 5 year warranty, I noticed it when I picked it up from the dealer (I bought it when it was 18 months old...I have had it 7 months, just had it serviced by the dealer should have mentioned it them (I am a muppet for not!)

What do you think guys and gals!

post-94440-0-81257300-1403257252_thumb.j

Would have thought it would be covered unless the lacquer has been damaged from an external source.

It is not straightforward, you will need to go to your dealer, let them inspect the wheels.

normally corrosion is covered for the first 3 years on wheels then years 4 and 5 are only for structural cracks from memory

Alex

Thanks guys I will take the car in Tuesday evening...see what they say...It looks to me like it is a faulty alloy right from the start! ...All I can do is ask. ...

cheers. ..

There are a few examples where members have had corroded wheels replaced.....but these were earlier wheels where Toyota did not lacquer the inner face of the wheels

Of late the quality of Toyota wheels seems much improved

Hope you get your wheel sorted to your satisfaction

Your alloys are covered mate, i bought an Avensis today 63 plate and asked the salesman if they were covered and he said yes 5 year warranty also covers alloys, then i pointed to one that had damage on the car and he said he would replace it :driving: happy days.

I wouldn't necessarily put full trust in what a salesperson says re what is included in the warranty. In the case of a car for sale, it would probably be the sales department that would bear the cost of either the replacement or refurbishment of the alloy wheel.

My 2 year old avensis had a white corrosion actually growing and spreading under the finished surface on one alloy only. Dealer replaced it with no hassle at all. You will be OK.

I will call in to the dealer tonight...lets see what happens!

Sorry to hijack but i have a question.

I have two "stonechips" on my t27 on the roof which have corroded, but toyota have flat refused to cover.

I emailed toyota ireland also, and they say no. I was quite surprised to see it corrode so quickly, the car is less than 3 yrs old.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Stone chips are just that damage to the paint. If the area had been touched up the corrosion would not have happened.

If there were no stone chips and it bubbled through from the inside they would have covered that.

Alex

I know of no manufacturer who would cover rusting due to stone chips under their corrosion warranty.

Depends how deep the stone chips are, and if they're down to bare metal. Being on the roof, and depending how tall you are, they were probably hard to see until they started rusting. I had something similar on a 2 year old Nissan Primera I had.

Might be worthwhile seeing whether a Smart repairer can do something with them.

Update - I am going in on Monday...also I have just noticed a second area on the same wheel...we will see!

As a warranty administrator I can confirm that alloy wheels are not covered for cosmetic issues beyond 3 years 60000 miles they are covered for manufacturing defects such as cracks up to 5 years 100000 miles ( if you have a 5 year warranty ) but not cosmetic issues such as paint peeling, blistering or corrosion.

Sorry to hijack but i have a question.

I have two "stonechips" on my t27 on the roof which have corroded, but toyota have flat refused to cover.

I emailed toyota ireland also, and they say no. I was quite surprised to see it corrode so quickly, the car is less than 3 yrs old.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Stone chips are not covered under warranty as they are damage and not manufacturing defects, if the paint was chipped deeply enough and bare metal exposed corrosion can set in within weeks under the right conditions.

Okay...went to the Toyota dealer yesterday and the receptionist took a picture of the alloy wheel, this she is going to show the warranty guy who only comes into that particular dealer on Tuesdays....!!

So lets see what happens now!

Booked in to replace the Alloy Wheel with a new one! - Good service Toyota!...I am well pleased I have to say! :gora:

Well finally got my car into the garage to be greeted with! "Toyota finally delivered your wheel but they delivered 4..." to which I joked " You can replace them all if you like"....

Anyway after 1 hour the receptionist came over and said..." It's probably a good job we have the 4 as the technician has checked your other 3 wheels and they all are faulty....so I got them all replaced!
Well blow me down!...what do you make of that ?

Result!

Well done, looks like the salesman i spoke too WAS telling the truth after all, just wish they would ALL of the time, nice one :thumbsup:

I have 7 or more stone chips on my bonnet (dumb old owner) what to do now? I can see through the chips and are silver, even though the car is white. I always wash the car each week and dry it properly over all the stone chips to prevent rust from the water. How to stop corrosion other than respraying or major work

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together