Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello From Essex

ksareen

Hello to all,

A newbie from Essex here. Hope you are all doing well (being Toyota owners ;-)

I currently own a 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTi ECO4. Looking to move to Yaris 1.4 D4D.diesel (Mk2 - 2006 onwards). This is a chain driven engine I believe.

Any advice about this move would be appreciated:

Many thanks in advance..

Hello Kunal - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

The 1.4 D4D engine used in the Yaris is chain driven.

Topic moved to the Yaris club to generate more responses for you.

• Like 1

Thanks Frostyballs,

I am inclined to get an auto gearbox if the manual comes with a DMF (Dual mass flywheel)? Please advise.

Also if someone could advise what year the DPF (Diesel particulate filter) came on this model, it would be great. I obviously want to avoid buying with one.

Many thanks once again.

The auto is an MMT which is a manual box with automatic electric shifting, so the actual gears, flywheel, etc, are the same as the manual. I've not heard of problems with DMFs on these, but there's plenty of hate for the MMT, so you'll probably want to get a manual :)

DPFs came in about 2010. From a discussion a few weeks ago it seems they may be concurrent with the change to a 6-speed gearbox, so if you stick to 5-speed cars you'll probably avoid a DPF.

• Like 1

MikeSH, or anyone!

I too heard about the "nightmare" with MMT gearboxes.

Test drove one when the wife was looking for a Yaris diesel in April, and no problem, though it was only a few mile test drive,

Is the "problem" still there even if you drive it on the sequential selector side ie move the gearstick yourself - forward for up and backward for down?

After driving the wife 58 plate Yaris diesel with manual box, I was smitten, declared myself retired (I was self employed and doing professional carpet cleaning at 67 years old), got myself a 59 plate Yaris diesel, manual, and absolutely love it.

Re the dual mass clutch, I know with other makes of cars, some owners are putting a "standard" clutch in when its due for renewing. Whether this is viable or beneficial/detrimental with the diesel Yaris I do not know.

• Like 1

MMTs (and other makers' equivalents) have had a mixed reaction.

There have been/are some reliability issues with selector mechanisms stiffening with age or control modules failing - both expensive to fix. Of course for every failure we hear of there are probably hundreds or more that don't fail, so I don't know if they are really much less reliable than other transmissions.

The main 'problem' seems to be that they don't act like a standard automatic - there is a prolonged loss of drive while changing gear (as there is with a normally driven manual) and some/many drivers simply can't accept this and complain bitterly about jerkiness (passengers don't notice it, only drivers - I think because they aren't normally pushing a clutch pedal at the time of change). Some try to 'improve' it by wiggling the throttle about while it's changing which probably just makes things worse.

I found it did take quite a while to get used to the gear changes, but I've had no issues once getting past that. My wife has never driven manual cars and has never had a problem with it.

(We currently have Yaris 1.4D MMT since about 4 years and I also had an Aygo MMT for a couple of years. Both perform(ed) adequately.)

It's not a dual mass clutch, it's a dual mass flywheel. The flywheel is effectively split into two discs with a spring coupling between them - one part is on the crankshaft, the other connecting with the clutch. Some makes seem to suffer with spring failures at not very high mileages which is why they have a bad press. Quite a big job to change to a 'standard' flywheel (even if they are available). I've never seen a post here on the Yaris Club about DMFs, so I don't think they are a big problem on these cars (yet).

• Like 1

Thanks for the run down on the MMT box.

2nd Yaris with MMT seem to be low mileage when compared to a manual box, and reasonable prices too. Maybe low mileage cause the owners not getting on with them and dont drive them much cause of that. Maybe.

Thanks for the run down on the MMT box.

2nd Yaris with MMT seem to be low mileage when compared to a manual box, and reasonable prices too. Maybe low mileage cause the owners not getting on with them and dont drive them much cause of that. Maybe.

For automatics in general they are more likely used either by older people who don't drive a lot, or city dwellers who spend a lot of time driving without many miles to show for it :)

Hence lower mileages, but in the latter case could still be well worn.

Thanks for your helpful replies MikeSh. I tend to do around 15K miles a year, most of that is local. So I am going to stay clear of MMT.

While I look at manual Yaris, someone has messaged me to look at Mazda2 1.4D automatic. Any idea if those are real automatics. Are those any good?

While I look at manual Yaris, someone has messaged me to look at Mazda2 1.4D automatic. Any idea if those are real automatics. Are those any good?

I have no idea, but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

I think someone recently said one of the new/next Yaris will be built in a US Mazda factory, so it wouldn't really surprise me if the Mazda 2 has the same drivetrain as the Yaris :rolleyes:

This globalisation is getting so the manufacturer's name on something is almost meaningless - except perhaps the warranty :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links