Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D 2002 Removing Fuel Sender From Tank

zippy500

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 D4D for a couple of months now, The fuel gauge has been reading incorrectly so I have a replacement sender unit that goes the in the fuel tank.

Help :ermm:

This car I have has some serious rust issues!

I have got to the sender unit on top off the tank, it is really rusty around the top part I need to remove.

there are 6 bolts holding the unit in place. I tried a 8mm socket it was too big, tried a 7mm too small

found a imperial socket that fitted...does anyone know the correct size for this small bolt.

anyway this is where the trouble starts.. I have managed to shear two of the bolts heads off, managed to get the others lose ..last one wont budge and looks rounded off now.. socket bit dissapeared under the seat now where to be found,

what can i do now ,, im stuck..any ideas??

Thanks

Andy

The bolts will be a metric size. Often the problem with cheaper, smaller size sockets is their size tolerance particularly if they're 12 point. Use good quality 6 point sockets, they're less likely to slip and damage the head of the bolt. Soak fasteners in Plus Gas for a few hours before attempting removal and give bolts a sharp knock first to break the seal. Sometimes slightly tightening a bolt will aid removal - use a backwards and forwards movement to loosen the bolt - brute force in one direction will inevitably shear the fastener. With the damaged bolt - can you get a mole grips on the head or use a bolt remover? Shearing bolts is to be avoided at all costs - the fractured surface is work hardened by the shearing process making drilling etc particularly difficult and in some areas such as fuel tanks, it's not possible to drill or grind safely.

Seeing as it,s a diesel drilling or grinding should be no problem.

Keith

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links