Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

?crankshaft Pulley Puller...will This Do The Job..

Exvec

Off work next week so i will be changing the cam belt and pulleys on my 1cd ftv ,iv'e managed to borrow a puller from my workplace to hopefully remove the crankshaft pulley, question is..will this tool do the job i'm not sure how much room there is to play with..

See picture and comment please..

post-131671-0-73953100-1403635406_thumb.

Don't use that. The pulley wheel is a two part assembly with the outer bonded to the inner with a rubber joint. You could damage it as the force will be applied to the outer and you may pull it apart.

The Inner portion has two drilled and tapped holes for bolts. These must be used if a puller is needed. You'll probably find that you don't need one. I've done half a dozen Toyotas (at least) and have never needed a puller.

• Like 2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P6UNW4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

If you need one - this is the style you need. Machine Mart sell them. Those same holes can be used to brace the pulley wheel when removing the crankshaft bolt.

Don't use that. The pulley wheel is a two part assembly with the outer bonded to the inner with a rubber joint. You could damage it as the force will be applied to the outer and you may pull it apart.

The Inner portion has two drilled and tapped holes for bolts. These must be used if a puller is needed. You'll probably find that you don't need one. I've done half a dozen Toyotas (at least) and have never needed a puller.

Oh Right thanks for that Gazza,so maybe I'll get away without a puller then,mind you with my luck maybe not :laughing:

That's cheap! The principle is correct but I don't remember the size of the bolt which fits the holes in the pulley wheel. The description of that puller doesn't specify either.

Michael can you do a quick guide on timing belt along the way and some pictures, if you don't mind, that is my next job after clutch change. I followed your handbrake one :thumbsup:

I will do a quick one too when I do clutch on friday. what kit are you using? are you doing the pump too?

Michael can you do a quick guide on timing belt along the way and some pictures, if you don't mind, that is my next job after clutch change. I followed your handbrake one :thumbsup:

I will do a quick one too when I do clutch on friday. what kit are you using? are you doing the pump too?

Will try and get some step by step pics up ,the kit i'm using is the continental one,i'm gonna play it by ear with water pump when i get the belt off,

The thing with my car is its 8 years old but only done 43,500 miles in that time so i'm expecting the water pump to be ok

hopefully should be but best to check for any signs of wear whilst your there :)

100% agree with other, don't use a conventional puller, you'll wreck it.

I made my own... piece of angle iron ... couple of bolts to secure into the threaded holes and one in the middle to push on the 'loose' center bolt... cost me £3 for the parts, and 30mins fettling at my vice..

If it is any use,I can try to get a pic.....

Yep JJ would be good if you could post a pic,?what size bolts did you use.

Pic added .... hopefully you can make it out.....

post-88896-0-90353100-1403984055_thumb.j

I think they are 8m bolts..... screwed into the pulley, then the nuts used to push the bar inwards .... pushing against the centre bolt (with an old hub nut as a spacer .... )

if you want any measurements, please let me know

• 2 weeks later...

exvec what did you use in the end? and did it work?

exvec what did you use in the end? and did it work?

Heres a pic of something i knocked up out of a bit of angle iron i had lying around in the shed,easy enough to make though,just have to measure the centres of the two threaded bores in the crankshaft pulley,i used a couple of m8 bolts which fit snugly into the bores,i then turned the centre bolt against a washer with a smaller hole thus ejecting the pulley gradually.

post-131671-0-89765700-1405020768_thumb.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

See the pick for my home made pulley removal tool. Did the job. Do you think the pulley should be replaced.

BAEA2726-3060-4FB2-A19B-F59C9C97BBFF.jpeg

167DBF90-3392-47C1-9FF4-A21F607B2E29.jpeg

I would change it, personally. I'd be worried about that one shredding belts in a hurry, and possible vibrations from it being off balance.

• Like 1

It depends on the age of your pulley. I had to replace the pulley 10 years ago on my old Mk1 7A-FE, when the outer part came loose from the inner. Shredded two belts in doing so. I now have a puller kit which include bolts that fit the threads.

Thanks guys. The pulley if off a 2005 Avensis. I'm going to have a good look at this pulley before putting it back on and maybe run it to see if there are any vibrations. New pulley is €300.

6 hours ago, JJenduro said:

Thanks guys. The pulley if off a 2005 Avensis. I'm going to have a good look at this pulley before putting it back on and maybe run it to see if there are any vibrations. New pulley is €300.

I remember when I checked with Toyota for my 1.8 leanburn pulley which also was a double type, Toyota wanted close to £300. I got a Febi version for £42 and it was perfect!
I found my post from 8 years ago - 

Your pulley should be fine, but still check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links