Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Servicing

Phil F

Hi all,

Just following on from the interesting thread from headhurts about servicing.

I have a 05 1.8 auto which I have done about 80,000 miles in with absolute minimal servicing apart from regular oil changes,brakes,tyres etc.I was advised by the service receptionist at the supplying garage that they require little servicing which has turned out to be the case.Despite this,it drives now exactly like it did when I purchased it.Most of the servicing regime appears to be "inspection".

Last time I checked our local Mr T.,charges £300+ for full service....wow.I know this is a much talked about subject,not just with Toyota.

I would be really interested to hear,from the horses mouth so to speak,from an experienced Toyota mechanic/technician what servicing regime they would do to their own cars?

Cheers....Phil

For those dealers that operate it Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing is http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing. Those are maximum prices - dealers can charge less if they want.

A petrol auto probably does need less servicing than a modern turbo-diesel manual.

The majority of Toyota dealers operate Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing scheme, which unlike most other manufacturers fixed price servicing schemes is available from the first service - most other schemes apply when the car is three years old plus. For example the Volkswagen fixed price servicing scheme applies to cars between 3 and 15 years old and for engines up to 2 litres.

A Full service for the Avensis on the Fixed Price Servicing scheme is £239, and it is the Full+ service that is over £300 (£349). See - http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

I would also say that most dealer services involve a lot of 'inspection'.

Our last three Toyotas (a 2006 Corolla, 2009 Auris and 2012 Auris - the last two of which have had Fixed Price Services), have all proved to be cheaper to service at main dealers than our last two second cars - a 2007 Mazda 2 and a 2012 Hyundai i20. The Toyota services have been around £70 cheaper for each of the Intermediate, and around £95 cheaper for each of the Full services - which over a period of ownership works out to quite a bit.

Inspection IS the major factor in servicing these days, no matter what manufacturer

But take a look at the time allowance, the times are very tight indeed, there is no time for the technician to twiddle his thumbs

Lots of old fashioned items like hinge and lock oiling are no longer carried out

When I were a lad :g: ....................... Services took a minimum of 2 hours, and full services were 4 hours or more, everything was knackered /seized / stuck unless it was looked at every 6 months, and servicing was every 6 months MAXIMUM, some cars had 3 month inspections

We have all come to expect our cars to carry on working forever, we don't want them serviced, but when you consider the amount of technology in a car these days, the oils and parts used, the labour charges, it's not too bad at about 82p per day, well not in my book. I have serviced thousands of cars in my time, but I have absolutely no ambitions to do one ever again, the garage every time for me!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Parts King,sorry I have to disagree with you in some respects,and my comments are based on my experience with motoring in general over the years and people I have spoken to in the trade recently,including a service manager for a large franchise and a toyota tech.

As you say,compared to the old days servicing is less involved and messy and time consuming,so would you not prefer to be doing it now?The last time I had my car into the local Mr T.,I observed the workshop guys for a couple of hours and I didn't see anyone rushing about,in fact the busiest person seemed to be the "Meet and greet" lady!

To me,frankly,£349 for what is primarily a oil and filter and plugs change is ridiculous and I am lead to believe this figure has more to do with encouraging people to take out the monthly maintenance plans.Also,the same work including the "inspections" would cost,in my area by a very good local motor engineer approx £150.

Don't get me wrong,I know it isn't just Toyota,a friend has maintained a Merc at bonkers cost at a main dealer.

Does anyone share my views on this,or if you can convince me I am wrong I may stand corrected?!

Cheers....Phil.

The one thing re maintaining a main dealer network service history (whether it is Toyota or another manufacturer) is that if a major out-of-warranty repair is needed, you may well get some assistance from the manufacturer as a goodwill contribution. Take the car outside the dealer network, and that goodwill goes forever.

At the end of the day, it is your choice - no-one is forcing you and no-one has to convince you otherwise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links